• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

George RR Martin to his detractors

Asmo

First Post
For me, I solve this potential issue by never buying a series until it is entirely complete.

I´ve been doing this since I started "The Path of Daggers" by Robert Jordan and couldn´t remember what had happened in the previous book.

Asmo

Arnwyn

First Post
The only real downside being the potential unavailability of earlier books. Risky both ways, I suppose.
Thankfully not a downside for me. If the series takes so long to complete such that the earlier books aren't even available for me to buy, then it's clear that series was never for me in the first place.

drothgery

First Post
Thankfully not a downside for me. If the series takes so long to complete such that the earlier books aren't even available for me to buy, then it's clear that series was never for me in the first place.

I think it depends on the series. I mean, there are things like The Wheel of Time or A Song of Ice and Fire that are a really a single, multi-volume story, and you don't want to jump into something like that in the middle.

But there's also things like the Discworld books or the Miles Vorkosigan books where while you might not want to pick up some of the later works without the earlier ones, they're usually pretty self-contained stories. And there's generally no problem in picking up one of those before the author has decided that they're done with the universe for a while.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads