• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gesalt classes with non-gesalt claases in a campaign?

Chroma

Explorer
warlord said:
I got the idea from my homebrew has a viking type race and one player can't see them having any other bard type then a gesalt bard-barbarian so thats all he'll playt and if her doesn't play the party doesn't have enough people and as DM I just want to make all my players happy.

He can't just multi-class? Gestalt and non-gestalt really don't mix.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
That's an easy one. It's not Gestalt, it's just multi-classed. Or let him use the Savage Bard variant from Unearthed Arcana.

-- N

PS: Having a backbone will help in this situation, and several others besides.

whydirt

First Post
Pyrex said:
My magical Crystal Ball of Balance says +2 LA for less-synergistic combinations (i.e., classes that require different stats, like Cleric Wizard), +3 LA for synergistic classes (Paladin/Sorc, Cleric/Druid, etc), and an additional +1 LA when they start taking synergistic prestige classes.

I think this is pretty accurate. Another alternative might be to require Gestalt characters to take a special feat called Gestalt Hero that allows them to combine classes. I'd still require a Level Adjustment of at least +1 in comparison to standard characters.

dead

Explorer
What are gestalt classes?

Do you mean multi-classing?

If so, then, in my experience, multi-class characters are weaker than single class characters.

Crothian

First Post
dead said:
What are gestalt classes?

Do you mean multi-classing?

If so, then, in my experience, multi-class characters are weaker than single class characters.

no, gestalt is from Unearthed Arcana...it is a powerful character option and it warns that it is a powerful character option. You take 2 classes and take the better HD, BAB, skill points, saves, and both class abilities and that's what you get every level.

So a Gestalt Wizard/fighter gets d10HP, best BAB, good fort and good will saves, 2+ skill points, class skills are from both classes combined, and he gets fighter feats and wizards spells.

It is high powered option really not to be combined with PCs from non gestalt.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
warlord said:
I got the idea from my homebrew has a viking type race and one player can't see them having any other bard type then a gesalt bard-barbarian so thats all he'll playt and if her doesn't play the party doesn't have enough people and as DM I just want to make all my players happy.

In that case I'd say encourage all of your players to play gesalt classes.

Bryan898

First Post
I did this last week actually. We were short on some key players of the campaign that I wanted to be there for the adventure, so I ran a one-shot dungeon. Players had the options of playing a 7th level gestalt or 9th level normal PCs. It is worth mentioning however, that I made them all roll 3d6 for stats, so they weren't excellent. Two players choose gestalt chars, a ftr/rog and a barb/druid. Funny enough it was the 9th level Wizard that outshined the other two.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads