• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gestalt Help

emoplato

First Post
Can someone answer why he would want to be a unseen seer over an arcane trickster when gestalting with a rogue except for the L5 ability considering he is already a wizard?

Helmed

First Post
A gestalt character can't combine two prestige classes at any level, although it's okay to combine a prestige class and a regular class. Prestige classes that are essentially class combinations - such as the Arcane Trickster, mystic theurge, and eldritch knight - should be prohibited if you’re using gestalt classes, because they unduly complicate the game balance of what’s already a high-powered variant. Because it’s possible for gestalt characters to qualify for prestige classes earlier than normal, the game master is entirely justified in toughening the prerequisites of a prestige class so it's available only after 5th level, even for gestalt characters.

Since I'm playing a rogue anyway the wiz / rog class combo shouldn't be a big issue; but the DM is leery. I may lose the sneak attack progression on the AT side and have it replaced with one general feat for every +2d6 lost. Not sure yet.

Race is not set yet, but dragonwrought desert kobold is not an option. It must be a PHB race or relatively similiar - gray elf, whisper gnome, etc.

emoplato

First Post
A gestalt character can't combine two prestige classes at any level, although it's okay to combine a prestige class and a regular class. Prestige classes that are essentially class combinations - such as the Arcane Trickster, mystic theurge, and eldritch knight - should be prohibited if you’re using gestalt classes, because they unduly complicate the game balance of what’s already a high-powered variant. Because it’s possible for gestalt characters to qualify for prestige classes earlier than normal, the game master is entirely justified in toughening the prerequisites of a prestige class so it's available only after 5th level, even for gestalt characters.

Since I'm playing a rogue anyway the wiz / rog class combo shouldn't be a big issue; but the DM is leery. I may lose the sneak attack progression on the AT side and have it replaced with one general feat for every +2d6 lost. Not sure yet.

Race is not set yet, but dragonwrought desert kobold is not an option. It must be a PHB race or relatively similiar - gray elf, whisper gnome, etc.
1. I am not saying combine two prestige classes I quite simply don't understand why you want an Unseen seer over AT in the first place when it is supplemented by a rogue via gestalt. Also the wizard gives you any spell a wizard can cast so long as it is prepared and not an opposition school, so advanced learning on divination only is quite frankly wasted. Okay, a two level dip may be worth it, but as I said it is really hard to use that sneak attack at range because most feat combos to render people flat-footed are pretty much at melee. Then the ones that don't well require you to actually be seen.
2. Well, okay keep the race, what about templates? White Dragonspawn makes up for itself a LA 1 one full sorcerer spellcasting, +2 con, +2 dex., flight double your base land speed, and there is other dragon stuff but see if you can just remove it for negotiations sake. If that doesn't fly which is understandable the dark template adds +10 movement and hide in plain sight for the same cost.

Helmed

First Post
It isn't that I don't want to use AT; it is that Gestalt rules specifically prohibit it (mystic theurge, eldritch knight, and any other PrC that combines classes).

The DM will only allow AT, if my character reverts to a single class when taking levels in AT.
So I can either take AT levels or rogue/ unseen Seer levels, unless I can find something better.

emoplato

First Post
It isn't that I don't want to use AT; it is that Gestalt rules specifically prohibit it (mystic theurge, eldritch knight, and any other PrC that combines classes).

The DM will only allow AT, if my character reverts to a single class when taking levels in AT.
So I can either take AT levels or rogue/ unseen Seer levels, unless I can find something better.
By that ruling you can't have Unseen seer then either, because it can advance sneak attack and spellcasting as well. In fact, most prestige classes would then be out of the question, because usually a prestige class does advance both characteristics in some way if there was previous mixing of classes in the requirements. Otherwise, there wouldn't be much sense in taking it if it offered one new thing and nothing else when it required cross class features.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads