• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting all of 3.5 WOTC

dema

First Post
Hello folks,

I'm really looking forward to 4e, but I was wondering if it would be worth getting all of WOTC 3.5 so one can have a complete (yet possibly inferior??? don't hit me) game.

I was big in to 2e ( a few K worth), 3.5 I can say I spent under 300 I think ( I lost a few 3.0 books to old friends.)

I do believe 3.5 was superior to 2e though not in being simple and easy to wing. 4E looks like it will take care of those issues and bring me back into the fold, maybe to DM again even.

So, would it be worth having the entire 3.5 game?

Tetsubo

First Post
I'm waiting for all those who are switching to 4E to sell off their 3.5 books. Which I will then buy up cheap... since I see no reason for there to be another edition of the game released...

bento

Explorer
Someone mentioned buying WoTC books through the resellers on Amazon.com. I found one (bookoutpost?) that I can get many 3.5 books through, brand new, for about 1/3rd retail. I'll probably do this to finish getting the Eberron books, which you can always use for flavor.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I really like 3.5 and have a compulsive buying problem. . . but even I don't think I need all of it. My advice would be to stick to books that you'll be most likely use. For me that means:

• PHB (x3)
  • DMG
  • MMI
  • UA
  • Spell Compendium
  • Heroes of Horror
  • Liber Mortis
  • Lords of Madness

I also have a lot of 3rd-party stuff (SCAP, the entire Scarred Lands line, etc), though my actual D&D 3.5 purchases are limited to the above, with a planned acquisition of the Rules Compendium.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
dema said:
So, would it be worth having the entire 3.5 game?
how can someone else really answer that question?

Do you like to collect RPG and specifically D&D? Do you plan to play a lot of 3.5 in the future and you want a ton of options for your campaigns? ?

cougent

First Post
I have found many practically brand new books for under $10 on Ebay.

I have more than I will ever need and about 60% of what is available. If I can get the rest (now or after 4E release) for the same low price then eventually I may have the complete set as well. However, even at low prices you are still talking about 100's of dollars, so decide whether you want to invest that in 3E or 4E.

delericho

Legend
If you are planning on upgrading, then I have to say "no". Realistically, are you ever going to use this material?

Personally, I'm planning on getting "Fortress of the Yuan-ti" and the "Rules Compendium" when they're released. Then, if I decide not to upgrade, I'll pick up a few extra PHBs, and perhaps a few other books. But I certainly don't intend to invest in a full set - I just wouldn't use them.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I pretty much already have as much of th collection as I need. Luckily I do not like FR or Ebberon, so that lessens what I need drastically.

Now as for what I want, well, hat will wait until 4E comes out. If I switch, no more 3.5 for me, but if I do not, I will look at some of the monster books like Lords of Madness to fill out my collection a bit.

Ill never buy every 3.5 book though. I don't see the need.

dema

First Post
Thanks

Just looking for the feedback. I was a bit of a collector in 2e. It is up to the drives of the individual. I do think getting in on 4e would be best. I have most of the fluffy type books I wanted.

Remove ads