• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting Back Into Miniature Painting - What Brushes Do I Need?

Ok, so I've decided to start painting minis again. It's been a while (and I didn't paint a heck of a lot of minis beforehand) so I'm having trouble remembering what size brushes I need.

I'm planning on painting Games Workshop fantasy minis or repainting D&D prepainted minis.

So what size brushes do I need to get? And what about brush conditioner or cleaner? What products would you recommend?

Olaf the Stout

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Olaf the Stout said:
So what size brushes do I need to get? And what about brush conditioner or cleaner? What products would you recommend?
Probably some bigger ones, size 1 and/or 2 for priming, rough basecoating, brush-on sealers and drybrushing larger areas. But to have some bigger ones is a no-brainer.

The more fiddly bits are the smaller ones, you need for detailing. Now, I have picked up painting about 3/4 year ago, so I'm no expert, but I've made the experience:

You need a brush that suits you. My friends (who have painted faaaar longer) swear by their Citadel Fine Detail Brushes for details - I think they're approximately size 0. I'm using them for larger areas, never for minute details. I'm using a W&N Cotman size 000 for eyes, faces and so on - it's harder, has a better tip, I love it, it made my painting better, just by using it... and paint tends to dry on it, if you're not thinning/fast enough.

I'd you have to try a bit to be happy with the brush size.

Also: Jen Haley has an article to that topic.

Cheers, LT.

Shape D.

First Post
For regular mini's I'd say a 000, 1, and 2.

with that combo you've got a really small one for fine detail, a fairly small one for regular spots, and using the 2 for larger areas.

If with the GW mini's you were mentioning you're doing vehicles, I'd add a 4 or 5 in there.

(I've noticed though there's a fair difference between different manufacturers brush sizing though......

Doug Sundseth

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:

The gold standard used to be the Winsor & Newton Series 7 or Series 7 Miniature Kolinsky sable round. I've been told that W&N no longer has the same brush makers and their quality has dropped. I use (and am quite happy with) the Da Vinci Maestro Kolinsky Sable Round Series 10. (The link is to Dick Blick, which has excellent service and very good prices.)

Good Kolinsky Sable brushes are expensive (relative to other brushes), but they are absolutely worth the difference in price. I regret the years I wasn't willing to spend the money for a good brush.

Brush size is a personal issue, but I do nearly all my painting with a #2 brush. The relatively large brush size allows the brush to hold enough paint to keep from drying out immediately (a significant problem with 000 and smaller brushes). And one of the reasons to pay for a good brush is that the point is (and remains) so very good. That da Vinci #2 has a better point than most 10/0 brushes I've used, even after using it for months.

I do keep a #0 and a #000 brush around, but I hardly ever even get them out of my brush holder.

Edited to add:

I use The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver for general brush cleaning. When brushes get really gunky (or after a few months), I use Winsor & Newton Brush Cleaner and Restorer. Any really basic hair conditioner works fine to recondition a brush after a thorough cleaning.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Dickblick is decent, but I find Art Supply Warehouse usually beats their prices and they are very fast.
http://www.aswexpress.com/

You have received solid brush advice so I will just say "ditto." :)

edit: Sadly, they do not have the brand Doug S. recommended, but they do have W&N miniature #7s for very cheap. I kind of agree on the slight drop in quality, they are still an excellent brush though and at ASW prices you can afford a bunch.

Last edited:

If I go with Windsor and Newton Series 7 brushes, which are better to get, the regular Series 7 or the Miniature Series 7? And what is the difference between the two?

Olaf the Stout

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Olaf the Stout said:
If I go with Windsor and Newton Series 7 brushes, which are better to get, the regular Series 7 or the Miniature Series 7? And what is the difference between the two?

Olaf the Stout

The miniatures are shorter bristles, but I actually like the quality and points on the regular series better. I only use the 000 miniature for eyes, all of my other regularly used brushes are the regulars.

pogre said:
The miniatures are shorter bristles, but I actually like the quality and points on the regular series better. I only use the 000 miniature for eyes, all of my other regularly used brushes are the regulars.

What size brushes do you normally use pogre?

Olaf the Stout

pogre

Legend
Olaf the Stout said:
What size brushes do you normally use pogre?

Olaf the Stout

My main brush is a 0 (1/0), I use a 00 a fair amount also. I use the largest brush I can. For me larger brushes hold their points and wet paint longer. I have not used a 5/0 or 10/0 in years.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I'll just add this to what others have said:

Have one extra brush you can afford to "wreck" for drybrushing.

I know, the experts here will probably pooh-pooh the drybrush technique, but for anyone who is not an expert, drybrushing goes a long way to getting your minis table-quality.

And-- no offense intended, believe me-- I assume if you were an expert you wouldn't be asking advice on what brushes you need.

Remove ads