• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gfunk-JollyDoc Crossover Story Hour [Updated 4/30]

Lela

First Post
Nice. I'm not sure how I knew it was Joachim when I saw the Blinding light (can't think of any references to that) but I did like it. Very shiney.

Of note though,

gfunk said:
After his companion had incinerated the corpse, Lemaron placed a brilliant diamond on the cold floor of the chamber as his master chanted the words to a true resurrection spell.

and

gfunk said:
“. . .Though your powers were diminished on occasion and your material form was variable, your soul always remained pure. By the decree of Lord Tyr, your penance is at an end. Rise and once again re-join the ranks of Celestia.”

And the full description,

gfunk said:
A golden silhouette began to dimly appear, gradually growing in strength as the spell was completed. Finally, there stood a bald green-skinned elf with beautiful white wings. With a thought, a trumpet appeared in his hands as he smiled and bowed deeply to his benefactor.

“High Justice Joachim Dethick. Indeed it has been a long time.”

Finally, gfunk's comment,

gfunk said:
The body described (rags) is meant to be Caine's. Also, the actions that Joachim described are a mix of Caine's and Pez's.

Okay, someone else has got to see what I see.

Last edited:

JollyDoc said:
No worries my friend. Just don't want to let any cats out of the bag until they are fully ready to pounce! :eek:)
Cool. Anyway, looks like I was wrong...I guess the description of "bald" and "green-skinned" screamed Planetar to me...

Samuraicat

First Post
Question about Quickened Spells

gfunk said:
LOL, tell me about it!

<Everyone rolls initiative before encounter>

Jollydoc: OK, the Duthk'gith go first with a 22. Entropy, one of them charges you and swings his silver great sword <rolls>. A 44!

Gfunk: <smirks> Miss! My turn, right?

Jollydoc: *sighs* Yes, go ahead.

Gfunk: OK, I cast a quickened time stop, then reality maelstrom, bigby's clenched fist, summon 1d3 huge pseduonatural scorpions, dimensional lock, and wall of force so they can't run away.

First, let me say, I am obviously new to the forum but I have read this SH in addition to JollyDocs Shackeled City SH. Outstanding work in both cases. I haven't played in many years but several of my friends and I have decided to jump back in and I will be running the SC Adventure Path...your stories have really helped me get back into the spirit of the game as well as provided a revitalized understanding of game mechanics (I have never played 3rd Edition...or 3.5.)

With that said, I have a question about the quote above. Gfunk, did you do this all in one round? If so, how? My reading of the rules indicates that only one Quickened spell can be cast per round but you can also cast another, non-quickened spell as well, which gives two spells per round. Maybe there is something I am missing.

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

Mortepierre

First Post
Samuraicat said:
With that said, I have a question about the quote above. Gfunk, did you do this all in one round? If so, how? My reading of the rules indicates that only one Quickened spell can be cast per round but you can also cast another, non-quickened spell as well, which gives two spells per round. Maybe there is something I am missing.

Actually, your answer was in the quote itself. His quickened spell was a Time Stop.

Quoting the SRD:
Time Stop
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 9, Trickery 9
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1d4+1 rounds (apparent time); see text

This spell seems to make time cease to flow for everyone but you. In fact, you speed up so greatly that all other creatures seem frozen, though they are actually still moving at their normal speeds. You are free to act for 1d4+1 rounds of apparent time.
;)

Samuraicat

First Post
Mortepierre,

thanks for the quick response. Now that you point it out I feel like saying "duh!" As mentioned I haven't played in awhile so I missed the obvious!

JollyDoc

Explorer
Samuraicat said:
Mortepierre,

thanks for the quick response. Now that you point it out I feel like saying "duh!" As mentioned I haven't played in awhile so I missed the obvious!

Welcome to the SH's Samurai. I hope to update mine this week. Our actual SC campaign has concluded now (for the time being), but I hope to keep bringing regular updates.

Samuraicat

First Post
Write up for the Gen Con Tournament

Jolly Doc,

In one of th SH, I read a post concerning your team winning the Gen Con D&D Open Tourney, for which I heartily applaud you and your team. Would it be possible for you to write up that particular event or if you have already done so, point me in the right direction? I think it would be an interesting read.

After reading the post, I happened to be out at Books A Million and paged through Dragon Magazine and saw the picture you mentioned. Pretty cool!

It reminds me of another time when I was looking through Dragon (an old one...many many moons ago) and ran across an article about the Gen Con Miniatures tournament. I noticed one of the big winners that particular year was named Richard Wheeler and he won first place in every category he entered, including Best of Show. It was his first time entering. This was the same Richard Wheeler who used to DM for me and my friends when I was just a kid living in Houston, TX. It was quite a surprise to see his name and his work featured in the magazine. Maybe some of you remember it. One of his entries was titled "Raiders of the Last Orc." Oh well, enough of the memories!

Again, thanks for the great work JD and team.

JollyDoc

Explorer
Samuraicat said:
Jolly Doc,

In one of th SH, I read a post concerning your team winning the Gen Con D&D Open Tourney, for which I heartily applaud you and your team. Would it be possible for you to write up that particular event or if you have already done so, point me in the right direction? I think it would be an interesting read.

After reading the post, I happened to be out at Books A Million and paged through Dragon Magazine and saw the picture you mentioned. Pretty cool!

Again, thanks for the great work JD and team.

Thank you again for the praise, Samurai! Do you mean you want a play-by-play of the tournament? If so, I'm sorry to say I don't remember enough specific details to write a thorough account. I could summarize the high points.

JollyDoc

Explorer
Samuraicat said:
JD,

A high level overview would be great. I realize it has been some time since the tourney and details get fuzzy.

You'll have to forgive my gaps in memory, but as near as I recall, we started out at around 5th level. The characters were a shifter ranger (myself), a dwarf favored soul (Richard), a warforged fighter, a human wizard, a rogue, and a monk. The gyst of the tourney was to recover several lost, powerful dragon shards for a wizard that had hired us. The first session took place on an air ship en route to the southern continent to find the first dragon shard. While aboard, the ship was attacked and in danger of an imminent crash. The group had to defeat the boarding party and avert the crash. Once on the ground, we made our way to a dungeon setting where the shard was supposed to be. There, we clashed with several minor undead, a couple of trolls, and ultimately, an evil priestess and her warforged titan croney. We handled ourselves well, with the monk disarming the priestess of her necklace which allowed her to control the wft, and giving it to our wizard, who then took over the construct.

The second tier leveled us all by one, with prestige classes being added. I had a level of were-touched master, and I know the warforged had one of warforged juggernaut. I can't remember the others. This time, we went to an abandoned giant temple to find the next shard. There, we ran afoul of drow, and a cadre of hill giants, as well as a drider. In the climactic battle, we entered a misty, extradimensional area connected only by ledges, with a bevy of spell-casting drow on the far side guarding the shard. My character had an incredible jump check, and closed the distance in one round, followed by most of the others who had made judicious use of the sorcerer's fly spell. We bested the drow and took the shard, only to be confronted by a dragonne, and a half-dragon warrior who warned us of dire consequences should we return the shard to our wizard employer. Ultimately, he left us no choice but to fight him.

The final round had us each around 7th or 8th level. This time, we found that our employer had betrayed us and was planning to use the dragon shards for his own nefarious schemes. We tracked him to his lair, which was a labyrinth guarded by a young red dragon and several small fire elementals. His final abode was located on an island in the middle of a lava lake guarded by salamanders and a magma paraelemental. This one was touch and go, and we ended up losing the rogue and the monk. The elemental was beyond us, so our trusty mystic theurge lured it away, while my character once again jumped like a fiend to the wizard, followed by the flying warforged and the sorcerer. We had to fight off a couple of azers and a fighter type, but ultimately, we defeated the wizard.

I should point out, that it was made clear to us that should our characters rest at any point in one session, that our session would end. So, we had to guard or expedintures of resources carefully, and not get too wounded. Also, we were graded on whether we completed each overall mission, and several submissions within, as well as how many made it to the end. I think what nailed us the victory was that we were the only group to actually defeat the wizard, even though we lost two characters doing it.

Remove ads