• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ghost Step - what level of invisibility?

ABC

First Post
Hi all,
In Dragon #318, in the new Ninja class presented, the following text is given:
Ghost Step (Su): At 2nd level, the ninja can spend one daily use of her ki power to become invisible for 1 round.
Using this ability is a swift action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.
Now, a friend and I have arrived at differing interpretations of the invisibility provided by the ability. My interpretation is that it represents invisibility (as per the spell) so the ninja would become visible if he/she attacked. My friend points out, however, that "as per the spell" isn't written in the description above and the words "invisible" or "invisibility" are not printed in italics in the description to indicate relation to the spell of the same name. Therefore, his interpretation is that the ability effectively provides "natural invisibility" / greater invisibility (in that the ninja would not become visible after making an attack) instead.
Does anyone know the "official" truth to the matter? I don't have the magazine with me at the moment to look up the article's author, but does anyone know where they might be reached (if possible) for clarification?

Thanks!

:)

-ABC

SlimeGuru42

Explorer
Well, I don't have the magazine on me at the moment either, but I'd hafta say its Invisibility as per the second level spell. When creatures have always on invisibility effects it references greater invisibility specifically, which Ghost Step does not.

It's my opinion that the ninja just gets uses of "Swift Invisibility" from the Miniature's Handbook. Its quick, easy, and honestly, getting improved invisibility would be just silly powerful. Think of the horrid cheese with shurikens/daggers/shortbows and rapid shot, heh. Now, once they can go ethereal with Ghost Step it's almost like that, but having to spend Ki Power uses to hit people sort of balances it out. And the fact that you're over 10th level helps as well =). But regardless you could search for the author and ask them to clarify.

Hope I've helped!
~Derrick

Last edited:

NobleRogue

First Post
SlimeGuru42 said:
It's my opinion that the ninja just gets uses of "Swift Invisibility" from the Miniature's Handbook. Its quick, easy, and honestly, getting improved invisibility would be just silly powerful. Think of the horrid cheese with shurikens/daggers/shortbows and rapid shot, heh. Now, once they can go ethereal with Ghost Step it's almost like that, but having to spend Ki Power uses to hit people sort of balances it out.

Thanks! didn't even see that til you referenced it.

(Invisibility, Swift pg 36. Minature's Handbook) Asn2, Brd 2 Components V, Casting time one swift action, range personal, duration 1 round "..This spell functions like invisibility (see page 245 of Player's Handbook), except as noted above.." makes sense.

Only problem with being ethereal is that an ethereal creature can't attack material creatures. So attacking the way you mentioned won't work unless they're invoking Ghost strike (to strike foes on the Material Plane normally while in the Ethereal Plane -applies to next attack- which I assume is single which must be resolved by the following round) and THEN invoke Ghost step the following round (because you're limited to one swift action per round) to go ethereal/indetectable for a round.

My recommendation is to spend the resources to procure a ghost touch weapon. Or spend most of combat running away in fear of quickly running out of ki points.

They could walk through walls n junk tho' and if grappled, take THAT you assassin vine!
:lol:

ABC

First Post
Hi Derrick,

SlimeGuru42 said:
It's my opinion that the ninja just gets uses of "Swift Invisibility" from the Miniature's Handbook.

Hope I've helped!
~Derrick

Thanks, that does really help! :)

Also, it's good to see you here too, NobleRogue! I think that answers our question for now. :D

-ABC

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
I don't agree that invisibility here is as per the spell. If it were, they would say that and would italicize the word. And it's not overly powerful, either.

Here you have a ninja with a crippled version of sneak attack. The usual ways he gets sudden attacks is by bluffing in combat or in the first round with a high init. He doesn't get them by flanking the way sneak attack allows. Giving him the ability to sneak attack while invisible for perhaps 5 rounds a day by expending ki charges really helps balance out that downside.

My question, however, is whether the ninja can stay invisible for 5 rounds in a row by blowing his charges all at once, or will he blink visibly for a split second between rounds as he recharges it for the next round.

Remove ads