• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Giant Vermin

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Assume that I, as a 12th level cleric, cast this spell on my handy Jar O'Scorpions (tm). According to the SRD, this will create 3 Huge scorpions with 14ac and 34hp (average) that get one attack per round at +8/2d6+8.

Now, if I look up "Huge Scorpion" in the MM I see that these giant vermin should really have 16ac and 104hp, getting 3 attacks per round (+15/+15/+10 for d8+5/d8+5/2d4+2)and all sorts of special abilities.

I'm guessing that this 4th level spell produces some anemic, soft-skinned, sad looking bugs and that they are so confused by their new size that they can only manage one attack per round (though it does much more damage than a "real" huge scorpion would with a single claw). Fine, I can live with that. My question is: do they have any of the other special abilities listed for Huge Scorpions? Do they have the poison? Can they do Improved Grabs and Squeeze?

Since their AC, HP, Saves, and Attacks/Damage are all different, is there any indication that the rest of the stats should be the same? Even if they are poisonous, how do you determine whether they attack with their claws vs their stingers?

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I raised the same question awhile ago. The PHB version of the spell specifies that you should refer to the MM for any more abilities that the creatures have. My understanding is that the vermin are like the PHB versions in all ways, except as noted in the spell's description.

So yes, the critters get appropriate poison. I've used wasps so far as a 7th-level druid, and enjoyed them tremendously; spiders and scorpions will also probably be fun.

Daniel

Remove ads