Girls Girls Girls - random question..

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I've gotten a number of my female friends into roleplaying. It's not hard, just be honest.

Explain to them what roleplaying is. It's a game. It's a fun hobby where you take the place of a character and storytell.

Things that put them off of roleplaying is the type of people they're playing with, same as any social activity. If there's someone that they're not comfortable around or think is creppy, they're not going to have fun.

Sirya

First Post
oooh tsk tsk, don't they like to be called 'flight attendants' now? Not that I care..

Explaining, the game.. wow, that is never easy, and I've done it before..

It's sort of like I have my 'gamer' friends and my 'non gamer' friends, I don't necessarily want to mix and match but going to a bar once a month just seems lame...

Ketherian

Explorer
Hi.

I've run an all-girl game (including me) and I've run mixed games.
The easiest way to attract a girl to a roleplaying game is to ask them what they want. Chat with your players. Ask them what they want to play.

If they don't know - use movies and books as examples.
There are some pretty strong steriotypes out there as to what girls are like who game (and what boys are like when gaming too). Don't rely on the steriotype.

Do the work. Get to know your players and use that to help tailor the world to their interests.

Hope it helps.

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
Sirya said:
See, I guess the trick here is to lure and seduce (thats just appropriate) these women into gaming, who have never been exposed to it...

So my plan is to be enticing, but you know lacey undergarments don't ALWAYS work - I've got lots of time before I set it all up anyway. So lots of times to use my wiles and charm I guess to slowly introduce them to D&D. Right now I'm just brainstorming..

Actually, if you find a way to Lure, Entice, & Seduce women into gaming, please let us know. :D

Sirya

First Post
;) Will do Mavrick!

I just had an IM session with one of my girlfriends, she says she's willing to be open minded ( :p ) , so take that however you will... Apparently she has no previous exposure to gaming, so wait, does that make me her first? :] ;) She liked the idea of vampire, but then again who doesn't... blood, sex, lust and lollipops right? How can you go wrong?

Hypersmurf said:
Ask Barsoomcore about stewardesses :)
Damn, you beat me to it. *shakes fist in impotent rage*

On a more practical note, WotC has a pretty decent "What is D&D?" article on their website, along with an interactive example of movement and combat. (At least they did the last time I looked.)

Dragonbait

Explorer
Sirya said:
Has anyone, any DM/ST whatever ever run a game with an all female (ooc) ensemble? Or maybe just a game that attracted a lot of female players?

Close. 2 females and 2 gay guys. I just kind of shut up and went over my notes behind my GM-screen of safety when the covnersation went to boyfriends, ex-boyfriends, and sex. The guys were much more willing to divulge information than the girls. Once the game started, they acted like any other group of players (sans the soda and fatty foods.).

Sirya

First Post
I'm currently the only female in a game I play in.. and for some reason it always turns to something sexual... I get blamed of course, but seriously.. ITS NOT ME! :]

Remove ads