Girls Girls Girls - random question..

nonamazing

Explorer
The various White Wolf games can be good for new players to cut their teeth on. The rules are simpler, and that's useful--the complexity of a system like D&D can turn people off at first, both males and females.

I'd suggest a Mortals game--one in which the players run characters that are more or less ordinary people. This sort of thing is a great set-up for a 'horror movie'-style game, and I've found that can really make a strong impression of new players.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The two women playing in my D&D campaign both respond to having characters that have a connection to a community. Both have spent a rather impressive amount of energy detailing their family members and relations and their relations' histories. That can work for almost any genre, really, but it's what these two both clicked with, and neither knew each other prior to the game.

Funeris

First Post
Sirya said:
I'm currently the only female in a game I play in.. and for some reason it always turns to something sexual... I get blamed of course, but seriously.. ITS NOT ME! :]

I have no doubt that its not your fault. Having been in games with just men and mixed gender, I'll tell you some of the dialog is pretty sexual no matter which gender is sitting around the table. Now, with a group of all (straight) men, the sexuality reared itself in jokes. With a mixed group or two that I've been apart of, its also been jokes. Of course, perhaps that was limited to joking because the females were all significant others of the other players. Who can say.

But...you know...if you get uncomfortable, that's a bad situation. I've never been in a group with all females (being male would throw that off anyway). So, I don't know what that is like....or what you would experience.

As per the original question, I think you can start off with DnD or d20 Modern...or the like. If you want something a bit simpler try True20. Vampire and other WW games are easier, but I never liked their d10 resolution system.

Despite whichever system you go with, the key is to start small. Don't plan some 10-year (real life) arcing campaign of god-like heroic action. Start with small plots (maybe use a small module or four). Lure them in...piece by piece...adding more rules as you go.

You'll hook 'em. :D

~Fune

Bront

The man with the probe
Sirya said:
See, I guess the trick here is to lure and seduce (thats just appropriate) these women into gaming, who have never been exposed to it...

So my plan is to be enticing, but you know lacey undergarments don't ALWAYS work - I've got lots of time before I set it all up anyway. So lots of times to use my wiles and charm I guess to slowly introduce them to D&D. Right now I'm just brainstorming..
Might I suggest DMing in the Lacey Undergarments anyway... and posts pictures of the session :D

Seriously, having gamed with several women, I find that most of the ones I've played with are a bit more into the role-playing/social aspects of a game than the fantastical or more combat oriented aspects of the game. That's not to say they aren't out there, but that's just my experience. I know several fantastic women Roleplayers though, and they're always a blast to play with.

Hijinks

First Post
I play D&D (and am female) but am more into online MMORPG's. One of the biggest things that I've seen that draws women into MMORPG's is the detail of their character, fleshing out a character, inventing a back story and roleplaying it out. Many male players don't really care about the back story (although-there-are-many-who-do-don't-flame-me-:p), but in my opinion, women care more about their characters - the physical description, the personality, etc.

So I'd definitely recommend allowing them a lot of time for character creation.

Funeris

First Post
Bront, knowing that you're recently engaged, I'm almost ashamed at what you're suggesting. You give all us men a bad name.

*turns slightly away, gives the thumbs up sign behind back*

But, Sirya if you really wanted to post pics, I don't think anyone would complain :p

~Fune

Eli-kun

First Post
After a two year epic campaign ended,our group splintered and one dm found himself with 4 female players. The main problem seems to be that our jobs interfere more with gaming than mens.
My favorite DM seems to tailor the chalenges to the characters. My maternal ranger was stabbed in the back and thrown off a roof by a cute little girl assasin,had to rescue orphans kidnapped by vampires, and had her paladin son killed by a madman.
The dwarf rogue was given a box that he was told not to open and seduced by the half elf fighter.The overconfident wizard was sent to an island where magic didn't work.
We all lost all our posessions in a shipwreck. Fun!!

Sirya

First Post
Funeris said:
But, Sirya if you really wanted to post pics, I don't think anyone would complain :p

~Fune

Well, you may THINK that... LOL..

Eli, it does sound like fun. I think women are or can be more detailed in different ways than men can or are...

Remove ads