Give me some pirate ideas to steal!

Stormborn

Explorer
- a London occult scholar comes to the new world seeking the Fountain of Youth (or some similarly powerful artifact) and falls in with a pirate captain who aids him in exchange for the promise the treasure holds. The PCs can wind up on the same ship or on a rivals. How far this goes can be up to the themes of your game. If you want to down play the magical aspect then the scholar is simply wrong (either because its not real or because he has misinterpreted the clues) or if magically minded eventually the search leads to islands in very strange seas (pocket diminsion?)

- again only if you are wanting some strange events: a modern-ish (say even WW2) ship appears in the Bermuda Triangle and a pirate ship catches sight of it in a storm. He tells many tall tales about it while drunk in port and now a race is on to find the Magical Metal Ship; or maybe someone already has and is using machine guns to raid and plunder.

- The ship the PCs have joined is only nominally a pirate, although most of the crew is unaware of this. Instead it is a privateer owned by one of the great powers of Europe, and on board is a spy from a rival nation who reports on the captain's activities with orders to destroy or take the ship if neccesary. The captain picks rich treasure ships to attack, but he is really after important documents that he can send back home to his superiors. The PCs might be brought into the confidence of either the spy or the captain, neither, or both.

- A freed slave tells the captain of a fantastic island off the coast of Africa, but is he telling the truth or is he only angling to get revenge on those who sold him off in the first place while making a break for home.

- The PCs arrive in port to discover a bounty has been placed on their heads, but for a cirme they didn't commit. The prize is enough that even former allies cant be trusted, but when an old enemy comes forward claiming to be the victim of the same circumstances the PCs are forced to make hard choices. Meanwhile the coniving govenor of the island and the real villains want to make sure the PCs are captured as quickly as possible.

-A pirate nation is forming on a tiny island and is begining to transition from a simple haven to a real home for many outlaws, former slaves, and exiles. The crown, of course, cannot let that happen. What will the PCs do when put in the middle of the coming war?

Driddle

First Post
re "Pirates! - Give me some pirate ideas to steal!":
Arrr! I buried my ideas on a beach on a tiny island y'll never be finding, y' scurvy dog. Arrr!

SavageRobby

First Post
If its in your gaming budget, you might check out the Pirates of the Spanish Main RPG that has recently been released. It uses the Savage Worlds ruleset, but it also has plenty of great ideas about campaigns and adventures and episodes and such.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Obviously Green Ronin's "Skull & Bones" is a great source for d20...

Alderac Entertainment has an E-Zine for Skull & Bones called "Buccaneers & Bokor" and it is available for download at RPGNow.com. I've bought numerous issues and each has pirate adventures to run as well as setting info for the Caribbean in the golden age of piracy. Probably the best source overall.

Below is a link that will allow you to purchase the first 6 issues for $19.95. I highly recommend them.

http://enworld.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=7686&

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Or how about a different take on pirates...

A group of brigands living in an archipelago who have trained large predatory birds which they use to ride & raid passing sea vessels.

I'm envisioning some kind of giant eagle or osprey, attacking from air, perhaps dropping large stones from altitude as an opening gambit...but again, riding giant penguins (OK, just use Orcas) and attacking from below could serve just as well!

NewJeffCT

First Post
A few years back, Kenzer put out a very good book about pirates called "Salt & Sea Dogs: The Pirates of Tellene" While it has some Kalamar-specific detail, it's mostly a lot of detail that can easily be ported over to a lot of other gaming worlds with little modification. They had, if I recall, a pretty good section on ideas for pirate adventures & campaigns.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Stormborn said:
- a London occult scholar comes to the new world seeking the Fountain of Youth (or some similarly powerful artifact) and falls in with a pirate captain who aids him in exchange for the promise the treasure holds.

You will also need the mummified head of a twoheaded dog and a gigantic obese mute Bokor named Woefully Fat:)

Remember that Piracy was a worldwide phenomena ranging from the Ports of Europe to the mediteranean North Africa through the Red Sea to Araby and across the Indian Ocean to the Mughal States of India and mystic islands of SE Asia then across to the Americas and even to the pacific.

This brings in Warring European States (like the French and Dutch)
Corasairs and Genies in Arabia
Slave Ships and Lost Civilisations in Afrika
Mughal Convoys and decadent empires in India and SE Asia
The mysteries of the orient and the Opium Dens of Hong Kong and Singapore
The Lost City of El Dorado and Colonial Rebellion in the Americas (see Boston Tea Party)

The Privateers were often employed or sponsored by Noble Lords, Colonial Land Barons and merchants. The British East India Company was a major employer of Privateers most notably Captain William Kidd. Nonetheless they were not always on freindly terms with the legitamate navy and so run ends with 'friendlies' isn't out of the question

Captain Kidd was employed as a Pirate Hunter and so that gives an option for a 'good crew' of pirates tasked to hunt down evil pirates.

punkorange

First Post
I think I'll look into sea and salt, I need a hook to get my players to some action and enjoyment early in the game. I've never ran true20 before either, so I'm hoping it goes well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Or, to switch it up, a halfling Pirate (Swashbuckler/Halfling Outrider) riding the Ostritch...

As a side note...most pirates hate woodpeckers. :)

Remove ads