• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Give me your gadgety goodness!

Zen

First Post
So here I am using the d20 future gadget system to combine a laser sniper rifle and a mini grenade launcher and I realize that this is a good start but there must be so much more i can do to make mt Tough 2/Fast 1 space marine even deadlier.

So what gadget combos have you all done? If possible, please tell me the purchase dc and tech level of the final product, but I can always figure that out on my own.

--Z

Storyteller01

First Post
I'd have to ask, why a sniper rifle with a grenade launcher? Seems counter productive...

Anyways, Halo has effectively an axe mounted to a grenade launcher. Evil at long range with some kick in melee.

A 3rd party sci-fi game has a 'panic pack'. The guy carrying it hitsthe dirt during a fire fight, and the pack becomes an automated machine gun that provides cover fire. The odds of the guy wearing the pack surviving is pretty low, but it's a nice surpise.

solkan_uk

First Post
I'm not familiar with d20 Future's gadget system, but in Spycraft I've got use out of:
Lock Seducer (poke it in a lock and it try and pick it).
"painkillers" (basically generic tablets with the added ability to heal damamge)
I've got a mate who likes to combine explosives with just about anything. "sure you want my gun", click - "catch."
Can't see the need in most cases to combine two guns together, but gloves with a pistol built in rock.

Zen

First Post
Storyteller01 said:
I'd have to ask, why a sniper rifle with a grenade launcher? Seems counter productive...

You're right... I should intergrate the granade launcher into my armor! Maybe a gravity snare as well...

--Z

Tetsubo

First Post
Storyteller01 said:

Anyways, Halo has effectively an axe mounted to a grenade launcher. Evil at long range with some kick in melee.

A 3rd party sci-fi game has a 'panic pack'. The guy carrying it hitsthe dirt during a fire fight, and the pack becomes an automated machine gun that provides cover fire. The odds of the guy wearing the pack surviving is pretty low, but it's a nice surpise.

I have to also chime in one why you have a combo sniper rifle/grenade launcher?

A sniper rifle in the real world is a HIGHLY precise tool. It does not handle rough treatment well. I can't imagine a laser version would be any different. A grenade launcher is the exact opposite of a highly precise tool. The only hand held weapon I can think of that has less "finesse" would be a shotgun...

That being said, look to Hollywood for gadget ideas. The Bond films are the best examples I can think of. But -Eraser- has quite a few and most near future SF films would be ripe for the picking.

Zen

First Post
Grenade/sniper rifle

It's strictly a rules-based combo choice. We've been relying on grenades for non-lethal combat, as concussion and tanglers can take foes down without killing them. A launcher gives you a 70' range increment and you target a square, not your opponent's ac, so it's easy to hit. The sniper rifle has superior range (120') of similar beam weapons and does rather nice damage. So with the combo, I can choose if I want a target to live or die and attack accordingly without switching weapons. There re other combos-- tangler gun, gravity snare, or swap out sniper rifle for plasma gun or so on, but the first combo was based on weapons my character already had.

--Z

Morgan Keyes

First Post
Zen said:
It's strictly a rules-based combo choice. We've been relying on grenades for non-lethal combat, as concussion and tanglers can take foes down without killing them. A launcher gives you a 70' range increment and you target a square, not your opponent's ac, so it's easy to hit. The sniper rifle has superior range (120') of similar beam weapons and does rather nice damage. So with the combo, I can choose if I want a target to live or die and attack accordingly without switching weapons. There re other combos-- tangler gun, gravity snare, or swap out sniper rifle for plasma gun or so on, but the first combo was based on weapons my character already had.

--Z

Understandable from a strictly game mechanics standpoint. But outside that it then asks the question, "so why are there no grenade launchers on today's sniper rifles? Or even those of a squad's designated marksman's rifle?" Answer(s) being: 1) not their job in the squad as that falls to the designated grenadiers, and 2) the stresses of firing a grenade launcher and the additional weight of the launcher (along with other factors) would bugger the accuracy of such systems in their primary role as precision weapons.

Storyteller01

First Post
That, and sniper rifles are too damn big to use in squad tactics. Heck, technically, they're too small to be sniper rifles. I forget the exact measurement, but a longer barrel is more accurate. Then again, the russian Drugonav (butchered spelling) has a bayonet stud. Why would a sniper need to mount bayonets?

PS: My apologizes for being snarky about the sniper rifle/grenade combo. It's possible mechanically, and real life shouldn't interefer in your fun.

Anyway, about the gadgets:
The last star wars gamer magazine had some nice stats for scopes. It has a rating, and divides the distance to target by that rating before applying penalties and bonuses to hit, Spot, etc. The cost is the rating cubed x 50. Additional features (low light, thermal imaging, etc) add 1 to the rating when figuring cost.

Another source has a scope with a radar setting. You have a narrow reticle sight, but a display gives you a stylized 180 layout.

Yet another source has the charge mace and the monofiliment axe. The mace uses rail-gun tech and a series of large bearings in the weapon housing to greatly increase damage on a strike. The mono-axe stretches a monofilament wire between two support struts.

An inertial harness (think Aliens...) reduces penalties for burst and suppressive fire.

There's the 'atmosphere eater' grenade. It lasts several rounds, and appears to be fire/plasma related. It's actually much worse, ripping apart anything in the area of effect at the molecular level. Needless to say, water doesn't effect it...

The game Shadowrun had smart gun cyber links to keep you from shooting friendly's. You could fully open up with a mini-gunin a room and never hit an ally.

The movie 'Runaway' had rocket powered heat seeking bullets. A 3rd party source has a similar concept that gives a +2 to hit and ingnores cover.

Last edited:

Storyteller01 said:
There's the 'atmosphere eater' grenade. It lasts several rounds, and appears to be fire/plasma related. It's actually much worse, ripping apart anything in the area of effect at the molecular level. Needless to say, water doesn't effect it...

Sounds like a wicked cousin of the Willy Peter grenade.

Could ya provide links to those Gadgets, if any?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads