D&D 5E Glaive vs. Halberd - what's the difference?

Paraxis

Explorer
It's simple, guys.

A halberd is a kind of cleaver on a stick.

A glaive is a five-pointed switchblade throwing star thingy that is only outmatched by the power of love.

Ah, the Krull glaive, the only weapon that can compete with the katana in pure uberness.
krull-glaive-Lyssa-Colwin.jpg

Seriously if a fanboi wrote up that glaive it would do the damage of five daggers so obviously 5d4, return on a miss or hit, and be usable multiple times in one turn, don't forget have a better range than a longbow.

aramis erak

Legend
Yes, I know there really IS a difference - but in my 5e PH, both are listed with identical stats... cost 20 GP, 1d10 Slashing, weight 6 ibs, Heavy, Reach, Two-handed. Why? Is this a mistake?

A glaive is a seax on a pole. A seax is like a meat-cleaver with a thrusting tip.
A halberd is a spear with an axe-head, with a spike opposite the axe-edge; the spike was usually curved. The Vatican's Swiss Guards carry halberds.

Both normally have the ability to stab and to chop.

Functionally, there's not much difference except for the back-spike on the halberd, which allowed pulling horsemen off. Straight spikes were less useful for pulling, but allowed punching through plate...

For D&D purposes, they are close enough to make no difference, but you could allow for different stunts with them, if you're inclined that way. For example, the glaive is a better choice for cutting the rope on the chandelier, while the halberd can be used to push or pull something at distance better.

Bonus: A guisarme is a pruning hook with a back spike and a thrusting point added.

Some links with good info:
http://steelfighting.com/2011/05/22/the-halberd-a-weapons-system-of-the-swiss-guard/
http://arthursarmory.com/medieval-polearm-weapons/

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It is for future variants.

Like a weapon group variant where one is a "heavy blade" and the other is an "axe type".

Or an exotic polarm rules.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
One thing to consider is cultural. Different weapons evolved in different colitis at different times, often in response to the armor technology of the time. In ancient Greece the short sword was common, in the late medieval it wasn't.

So your cultures can show a particular weapon as a favorite (as well as armor), but the effects are similar in game terms. Remember that the 1st edition altered weapon effectiveness against particular type of armor because many were designed specifically to reduce the effectiveness of specific armor. I know very few people besides me who used those rules (and we didn't stick with them for very long) song with things like weapon speed, etc. D&D isn't a combat simulation and unless you really feel like adding that complexity it's not really necessary.

Ilbranteloth

Randy

Remove ads