D&D 5E Glaive vs. Halberd - what's the difference?

erf_beto

First Post
Take a look at monk weapon description, regarding oriental themed weapons:

"Certain monasteries use specialized forms of monk weapons. For example, you might use a club that is two lengths of wood connected by a short chain (called a nunchaku) or a sickle with a shorter, straighter blade (called a kama). Whatever name you use for a monk weapon, you can use the game statistics provided for the weapon in chapter 5."

This is clearly "permission" to use longsword=katana (or greatsword, I've seen different opinions on this).

I, for one, approve of this.

The extra cost is not a balancing factor, it's just the way the world works: we pay more/less for something which just looks different (or is made by diferent people/companies) but accomplish the same thing.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is the page from the O.L.D. roleplaying game. All polearms have the same stats, except some have the ability to dismount riders (riding is very beneficial in O.L.D. so it's quite a good ability).

polearms.jpg

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
For D&D purposes, they are close enough to make no difference, but you could allow for different stunts with them, if you're inclined that way. For example, the glaive is a better choice for cutting the rope on the chandelier, while the halberd can be used to push or pull something at distance better.

I think you are spoiling our fun by posting an intelligent answer. ;)

But seriously, you are exactly right. These fine details are for play groups who love DMs who say things like "No, no, no. The halfling may not attack the Nazgul with his dagger until his target dismounts. Reach." For groups that say things like "Skeletons. Did anyone remember to bring a blunt weapon.", they can just go with "glaive = halberd".

aramis erak

Legend
Wasn't it the Warhammer RPG that had all weapons do the same damage?

D&D was the first RPG to do so. In 1974. It wasn't until 1975 (and supplement 1) that differentiated damage entered D&D; 1d6 for everything remained an option in Holmes, Moldvay, and Mentzer D&D basic sets (and the cook and mentzer experts).

WFRP didn't actually have all of them do the same damage, either. Some were -2, some were +1.

Simon Marriott

First Post
uuuuuuuuurgh polearms............ (simpson esque drooling noise!)

Now i am totally playing a pole arm user just to use a bec de corbin!

I love this! For the champion, the go-to weapon is the bill. Its a pure destruction tool. For the fancy fencing battle master, the flava pole arm of choice is clearly the halberd, or a 1e pole arm with a fancy name and lots of hooks!

ruleslawyer

As someone running a 13th age game, I can't imagine going back to weapon damage by type, but that's just me. I have no problem with the idea that choice of weapon can, within rough category and the limits of specificity of the system, be basically a matter of flavor text. To me, the salient issue is the range of weapon qualities (e.g. Two-handed, reach, piercing/slashing/bludgeoning) the system needs to adequately cover a range of interesting mechanics.

Henrix

Explorer
I like this point of view. It cuts it down to the essentials.

It isn't really about halberds and glaives, but more on shorter crushy things. Still relevant.

[video=youtube;92_TKngfYFQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92_TKngfYFQ[/video]

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Yes, I know there really IS a difference - but in my 5e PH, both are listed with identical stats... cost 20 GP, 1d10 Slashing, weight 6 ibs, Heavy, Reach, Two-handed. Why? Is this a mistake?

An interesting question might be why they decided to remove the distinctiveness which D&D has given these in the past. e.g. from the d20 SRD

Glaive
A glaive has reach. You can strike opponents 10 feet away with it, but you can’t use it against an adjacent foe.

Guisarme
A guisarme has reach. You can strike opponents 10 feet away with it, but you can’t use it against an adjacent foe.

You can also use it to make trip attacks. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the guisarme to avoid being tripped.

Halberd
If you use a ready action to set a halberd against a charge, you deal double damage on a successful hit against a charging character.

You can use a halberd to make trip attacks. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the halberd to avoid being tripped.

Presumably because trip/disarm are not distinct actions in 5e? Simplified combat means weapons that used to take advantages of earlier complexities can be rolled into one?

Remove ads