GLEE #39: Night of Neglect

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
It's back,and this time, it will be back for the rest of the season! Neglected songs and characters get the spotlight in tonight's episode, when the glee club holds a fundraiser. It won't be easy as Sue (how did she not get arrested for punching out the lieutentant governor's wife?) has put together a group of Mr. Shu's old enemies (too bad Coach Tanaka and Shaft aren't part of the group).

The playlist:

Charice (remember her?) sings "All By Myself", originally performed by Eric Carmen (not exactly a neglected song; it was heard in "Showmance", although she's singing it as Celine Dion)

Mercedes sings "Ain't No Way", originally performed by Aretha Franklin

Tina sings "I Follow Rivers", originally performed by Lykke Li

Gwynneth Paltrow sings "Turning Tables", originally performed by Adele

Glee: the Music Presents the Warblers comes out today.

From what I saw of it (we had Thunderstorms and Tornadoes so there were some preemptions) it wasn't too bad. It's becoming clear that Sue is losing control, the question is, will they allow Shue and crew to actually have a victory of any type?

Sue has screwed up so badly this season, I'm just wondering when the big victory for her is coming. It's almost agony waiting for the other shoe (no pun intended) to drop.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not expecting Shue and Crew to win Nationals this year - I expect they'll save that as the capstone for the third season, which should be the final season for most of the cast (the show started with them as Sophomores, IIRC).

Perhaps they'll prefer the "spend a year as winners who have to fight hard to defend a title" story for the third season, but I don't expect it.

You make an interesting point; they are actually following school years, unlike so many other TV shows based around school. So the next question is, are they expecting this to be a long term show or was this just a launch vehicle for other careers/other stuff?

Saved by the Bell was on for 5 seasons (6 if you count "Good Morning Miss Bliss") and covered the last year of Junior High and their High School careers (so I guess they all flunked a year).

I hope they don't decide to follow them to college (Beverley Hills: 90210) because honestly, how many of us went to college with all of our high school "buddies"?

Fast Learner

First Post
The Friday Night Lights series is somewhat instructive, in that they do at some point (being vague so as not to spoil) win big, but the show carried on very well and whether they'll win big again remains an interesting question.

More interesting, really, because there's more angst. Like much of life, if you never actually succeed in a big way, the pressure to do so is comparatively minimal because no one expects you to.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Sophomore? So... wait... they're expecting us to believe that at the start of the show, all the cast members were fifteen year olds?

Man, if I'd known fifteen year old girls could be as hot as Dianna Agron or Naya Rivera, I'd have been hanging around high schools years ago!

Remove ads