• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Glove of storing costs 10,000 gp?

DiFier

First Post
Correct me If I'm wrong but wasn't the 3.0 glove of storing 2,000 gp? In the 3.5 DMG it is 10,000 gp. Holy crap that's a jump. is that a typo? is that right? 5 times as much?

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Since it gives you instant access to (almost) anything you want, subsuming the Quickdraw feat entirely, I think the new price is about right.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I personally think 5,000 gp is more in line, but I might be biased.

(I have a Living Greyhawk character with 2 gloves of storing who is going to have to pay 16,000 gp if he wants to keep them both. )

Lord Pendragon

First Post
hong said:
Since it gives you instant access to (almost) anything you want, subsuming the Quickdraw feat entirely, I think the new price is about right.
See, I don't quite understand this line of thought. In my experience, Quickdraw has been mostly for PCs that are interested in using multiple weapons such as throwing axes or daggers. Not for merely one person who wants to switch between two weapons. That person is more likely to simply drop a weapon and draw the other one (even if it costs him an action) than pay a feat for the skill.

The glove of storing can only hold a single item, so it's useless for the many-dagger fighter. And a convenience for a bow-and-sword fighter. At 2000gp anyway. I can't imagine anyone taking it at 10,000gp.

But then, others' experiences may be different. :)

drnuncheon

Explorer
Re: Gloce of sotring costs 10,000 gp?

DiFier said:
Correct me If I'm wrong but wasn't the 3.0 glove of storing 2,000 gp? In the 3.5 DMG it is 10,000 gp. Holy crap that's a jump. is that a typo? is that right? 5 times as much?

Good thing you bought yours before we converted, eh? At least they clarified that it's a free action to store, too.

Caliban said:

I have a Living Greyhawk character with 2 gloves of storing who is going to have to pay 16,000 gp if he wants to keep them both.

They're making you pay for that? Pardon my pseudo-French, but that sounds pretty friggin' dumb. If you've got the item you ought to keep the item.

J

allenw

Explorer
I agree that 10,000 per *pair* would be more reasonable than 10,000 per *glove*, but I also agree that the price needed to go up somewhat, since Gloves of Storing are now the *only* retrieve-an-item-as-a-free-action storage device (Handy Haversacks now take a move-equivalent action (but no AoO), and I assume the Belt of Many Pockets from Tome and Blood would do likewise).

Number47

First Post
Wow. These people on this board sure are nice. Nobody made any smart comments about the gloce of sotring. I was going to make a wiseass comment about what slot a gloce takes, but I think I'll just be quiet instead.

Spatzimaus

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
Not for merely one person who wants to switch between two weapons. That person is more likely to simply drop a weapon and draw the other one (even if it costs him an action) than pay a feat for the skill.

Okay, you do that. I'll pick up your dropped weapon off the ground. Nyah nyah nyah. The only weapons I've ever seen people just throw aside like that are the non-enchanted bows/crossbows that practically every melee or caster type seems to have. In other words, things you don't care about losing.
Without Quickdraw, you're effectively limited to whatever weapon you were carrying when the fight started, unless you wanted to lose a turn or risk losing the weapon. In 3E this might not have been so bad, but in 3.5E with the new material/alignment DR rules, you'll need to keep a few backup weapons handy.
(My characters still probably won't take it, but it's a lot better than it used to be)

The Gloves of Storing have another use besides just being a Quickdraw replacement. If I'm a 2-handed weapon user (greatsword, glaive, whatever), those weapons can get HEAVY. Having a weightless scabbard is a big benefit. It's not just about weight; where exactly are you carrying that strung longbow?
So, the Glove of Storing is a replacement for both the Quickdraw feat AND the Bag of Holding/HHH/Quiver of Ehlonna, but only for one weapon at a time. To make things even worse, the item's just reduced, not in some extradimensional space, so you never have to worry about what happens when you put your gloves inside a Bag of Holding or anything.

When we first started 3E, there were a few items EVERY character ended up getting: Boots of Springing and Striding, Gloves of Storing, Heward's Handy Bodybag, etc. I'm glad they changed it.

MadScientist

First Post
Gloves of storing also have great utility in many RP situations. The ability to basically perfectly conceal a weapon seems to be a pretty good perk, on top of the others mentioned. Need to get into the Baronness's party while appearing unarmed? Glove of storing seems to be good choice.

DiFier

First Post
How much is a cloak of resistance +2? That gives the equivilant of 3 feats. lightining reflexes, iron will and great fortitude. costs less than a quick draw feat giving glove of storing. and it isn't quick draw anything it is up to 2 things. it's not like if you are disarmed you can just qucik draw a new weapon. nope the glove is empty. if you could switch an item that could be stored that you were holding with one that was in the glove then I'd accept the price.

I'm glad Dr. N is my DM

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads