• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gloves of the Healer

Diirk

First Post
These have the property "When you use a power with the healing keyword, you grant one of the targets an extra 1d6 healing."

My view is that to get 'extra' healing, you have to have some healing to start with... so they don't work with healing keyword powers that don't already heal hitpoints (eg powers that grant regeneration etc). Is there a clarification on this issue anywhere so I can present something solid to my group?

You cant have extra healing without initial healing because then it wouldnt be extra. The power doesnt say "When you use a power with the healing keyword, one of the targets gain 1d6 HP," it says extra healing.

I am pretty sure you wont find anything in the books that makes this point absolutely clear, but then again the books are not dictionaries.

Diirk

First Post
Yeah I was hoping there might be at least a post or something somewhere by someone from WoTC, similair to what happened with augment healing and lesser vigor in 3.5.

Byronic

First Post
I think the spirit of the game would allow you the extra healing. However, if we must be hopelessly literal:

Page 55 of the PHB describes the keyword Healing as "Powers that restore hitpoints" If the power has the keyword Healing, then according to the logic of DnD 4th edition, it MUST be considered as restoring hitpoints. Therefore, if a power only gives regeneration and has the keyword Healing it restores hitpoints.

Therefore Gloves of the Healer works.

FireLance

Legend
If we must be hopelessly literal, you can only restore hit points to a target of the power. So if you use a power like healing strike, which deals damage to the target and allows you or an ally to spend a healing surge, you can't grant yourself or your ally the extra healing since neither of you were a target of the power.

Rothe_

First Post
I think there is some rules text on "extra damage" which states that you only get extra damage when you deal damage to begin with. I think it points to the RAI requiring some healing to get the 1d6 hp extra.

Jhaelen

First Post
Page 55 of the PHB describes the keyword Healing as "Powers that restore hitpoints" If the power has the keyword Healing, then according to the logic of DnD 4th edition, it MUST be considered as restoring hitpoints. Therefore, if a power only gives regeneration and has the keyword Healing it restores hitpoints.

Therefore Gloves of the Healer works.
Wrong on both counts, therefore the conclusion is wrong, as well. Check the errata on the cleric ability which adds the cleric's Wis modifier to the effect of healing powers. Same thing.

eamon

Explorer
Wrong on both counts, therefore the conclusion is wrong, as well. Check the errata on the cleric ability which adds the cleric's Wis modifier to the effect of healing powers. Same thing.
Could you be more specific? I don't know which errata of which ability you're referring to.

I don't think Byronic's reasoning is wrong, but as he himself points out, the reasoning is hopelessly literal. Gloves of the Healer seem too inconsistently specified to be interpreted literally; and my common sense reading is that WotC that whenever you heal someone with a Healing power, you can heal them an additional 1d6 points. (i.e. the conclusion of the literal interpretation is invalid by merit of disregarding relevant context).

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
Could you be more specific? I don't know which errata of which ability you're referring to.
I was referring to this:
PHB FAQ said:
22. If I use a prayer that gives regeneration such as Divine Power, do I add my bonus from Healer’s Lore to the power?

No. The Healer’s Lore feature does not apply to regeneration effects, even if those powers have the Healing keyword.

Remove ads