• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Glyph of Warding

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My Rogue/Wizard finally has Glyph of Warding, and I’m excited at the possibilities.

What’s the weirdest or most tactically interesting or most powerful use of Glyph you’ve seen in your games?

doctorbadwolf

If I’ve read it all right, I can combine Glyph and Galders Tower at the end of the night to have a free tower the next day! Useful for days of crafting and other downtime, since my DM lets me customize a workshop into the spell.

If I had a spell like Hex or Hunters Mark, I could exploit glyph to get a no-concentration-needed 8 hour hex? Trigger is a creature being bound in the glyph. Go trap a rabbit for food (or have the ranger do it), sacrifice it ritually to get that 8 hour hex with no concentration.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Glyph of Warding: Banishment. Whoever messes with the protected door / book goes to Hell. For added fun add several Glyph of Warding: Alarm so the PCs can be combat-ready to smackdown whoever woke them up when the Banishment wears off and the thief returns to point of origin. For further amusement the protected book is titled Operation Overlord - Top Secret.
Alternative: Banishment to the Elemental Plane of Water. A half-drowned thief reappears. Or fully-drowned; cast Revivify or Speak with Dead.

If you have unlimited resources, Glyph of Warding: Guards and Wards will keep the thief wandering lost where you can find them at your leisure.

Don't forget the casting time (1 hour) the fact it cant move once inscribed, and the fact it costs 200gp in Diamond dust per casting.

Its ideal use is in a Demiplane with a dozen concentration buffs stored. When you absolutely need to buff yourself to the wazoo, enter your plane, race around the room triggering your Glyphs and stack a dozen buff spells on yourself.

Arvok

Explorer
Its ideal use is in a Demiplane with a dozen concentration buffs stored. When you absolutely need to buff yourself to the wazoo, enter your plane, race around the room triggering your Glyphs and stack a dozen buff spells on yourself.
You just need to be able to cast plane shift to get back to your home plane after you cast your buff spells in the glyphs. Glyph has a 1 hour casting time and demiplane's duration is only an hour. Although you can re-cast demiplane to get back to the same demiplane you've created (and filled with buff glyphs), the spell description doesn't say anything about being able to cast it while in the demipane to get back to your home plane. In fact, with the use of the word "trapped" it implies you cannot.

A generous DM might allow you to re-cast it while in the demiplane to get back home but I wouldn't count on that.

doctorbadwolf

I think some of the best uses for Glyph are things like getting a free Galders Tower the morning after ending the day with extra 3rd level slots, or setting up a free mage armor, or getting a concentration-free hex, etc.

Ashrym

Legend
I think some of the best uses for Glyph are things like getting a free Galders Tower the morning after ending the day with extra 3rd level slots, or setting up a free mage armor, or getting a concentration-free hex, etc.

If the PC has a permanent base it can be loaded with glyphs barring cost. So can a planned kill zone barring time as well.

Long term buffs the next day are just the starting point. :)

doctorbadwolf

If the PC has a permanent base it can be loaded with glyphs barring cost. So can a planned kill zone barring time as well.

Long term buffs the next day are just the starting point. :)
Oh yeah once you start having more gold than things to spend it on, and a place to defend, Glyph gets wacky.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads