• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GM: how to overcome the 1-shot boss enounter

darjr

I crit!
Maybe give the bad guy some themed 'at death' abilities or powers. Ones that are triggered upon that one-hit takedown.

If it is something that happens on a routine basis then something is off about either the PCs or the monster and the game system should be examined. If it happens very rarely then let it stand. Sometimes the bigger they are the harder they fall meme turns out to be true. Artificially putting the big bad on life support or throwing a grudge monster at the party is a display of poor sportsmanship IMHO. After all, once in a blue moon a big bad will TPK a party as well so it can swing both ways. Thats what makes things exciting. :)

Li Shenron

Legend
If it feels like it's really ruining the fun, I'll just slap additional HP on top of it on the fly so that it keeps fighting. Normally, my players are never going to know what were the initial HP.

If I were otherwise playing in a game where HP and other monsters stats were openly known, then I would just let the BBEG die on the first round. No big deal.

delericho

Legend
we all know it's bound to happen that one person/character in a group that just always happens to get that elusive 20-20-kill at the start of the boss fight and what was suppose to be an epic battle turns into an anti-climatic loot fest on a boss that you probably created yourself and put your sweat and blood and the souls of your last group into to be at least a challenge to beat.

How do you as DMs/GMs overcome this anti-social behavior? :p

Well, I'll try my hardest not to create a villain with a glass jaw like that.

But if I screw up and/or the PCs just get really lucky... I let it stand. I can always get another bad guy, and this way the players get a fun story to tell. ("Do you remember that time when...")

Ketherian

Explorer
Laugh.
Congratulate the players and bemoan your evil bad guy publicly; but never blame the party for good luck. It will quickly become the story the party loves retelling the most.

If the party really wants a fight, have two or three of the evil bad guy's top-most minions attack simultaneously from different points in the room. But, if they weren't in place before the fight - and they have no means to get there quick (contingency spell maybe), then don't retcon the situation. Play it straight and be fair.

Kinak

First Post
Laugh.
Congratulate the players and bemoan your evil bad guy publicly; but never blame the party for good luck. It will quickly become the story the party loves retelling the most.
Yes, make with the public wailing and gnashing of teeth. Players love that :)

That said, consider instituting a less swingy critical rule. At the very least, have the 20-20 trigger a Fortitude save like Death By Massive Damage. Otherwise, even ignoring villains, PCs can get one-shotted without getting a word in edgewise.

Cheers!
Kinak

Bolcien

First Post
At the very least, have the 20-20 trigger a Fortitude save like Death By Massive Damage. Otherwise, even ignoring villains, PCs can get one-shotted without getting a word in edgewise.
Cheers!
Kinak

well we do have things that can help prevent the 20-20-kill on the players, DM favors for example. I did a 20-20-kill on our cleric crusader, they asked to for a DM favor and I dropped it from a kill to 0hp and staggered and they get me a soda or what ever is needed at the time. Although I'll think on that I might make a fort save of 20 or 25? since 15 is the DC for massive damage, but an insta-kill should have a higher DC right?

Kinak

First Post
well we do have things that can help prevent the 20-20-kill on the players, DM favors for example. I did a 20-20-kill on our cleric crusader, they asked to for a DM favor and I dropped it from a kill to 0hp and staggered and they get me a soda or what ever is needed at the time. Although I'll think on that I might make a fort save of 20 or 25? since 15 is the DC for massive damage, but an insta-kill should have a higher DC right?
You could just update the rule to be 0 HP and staggered all the time, but whatever works for your game is obvious fine.

If I were going to set a Save DC, it'd be at 20. That way its easy to remember and completes the symmetry (20-20-20).

Cheers!
Kinak

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads