• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GM Problems: Table Space

steenan

Adventurer
I haven't faced this problem in years.

I only use digital books, so having a phone or a laptop at hand gives me access to all the books in case I need it.

I never run published adventures. I typically have a page or two of my notes, a map or a list of locations and shortened descriptions (+statblocks) of important NPCs/monsters.

Typically a cheat sheet with the important rules is at the table, for me and my players to use. The games I run are light enough (Fate Core, Cortex Plus, Dogs in the Vineyard, Dungeon World) that 1-2 pages is enough for that.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I have a preference for systems where I can at least keep the basic rules in my head. That said, doing random treasure rolls before the game saves a lot of in game time. GM screens can save a lot of book flipping.

I completely eschewed the notebook for a tablet. Though it's not as friendly to handle with multiple things like the former, the amount of space it saves is too much to ignore. For 3.5/Pathfinder (which until 5e's release occupied most of my roleplaying schedule) I use the tablet to handle initiative and stats (the PFSRD works great), as well as background music.

The books themselves stay on a small side-table (or chair, if I'm playing outside my house and there are not small side-tables), except when I'm using non-core stuff that's not on the SRD.

Dice-wise, I've learned to use less of them; now I only keep two of each type in front of me and hand each player one of each type. Though I miss having a tiny ocean of multicoloured polygons in front of me, they were using too much room.

Finally, I keep a small handbook and a pen in front of me, and cram all that stuf behind the DM's screen, which I try to put on my left side.

Most other games I play are less reliant on books and stuff (such as 7th Sea), so those I tend to play only with a tablet for BGM and a small handbook for notes (plus dice, of course).

S'mon

Legend
With 4e I don't need books, I just need printouts of the monster stats, maybe a list of what effects Conditions have, but I generally memorise those. Spell effects are all in the stat blocks or the players' PC sheets.

With Pathfinder I have a link on my smartphone to d20pfsrd for rules lookups, plus the players bring the Core Rulebook. I bring the adventure and the first Bestiary, which cover most monsters.

For me the big weight to bring is the big box of minis (& the flipmats), I travel by London Underground and often game after work so I try to minimise heft.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I used to carry every Planescape source I had, whether I used them in game or not. While it probably helped me build up some muscle, it was not necessary.

Janx

Hero
The BattleTop is a lifesaver for me, I can keep books under it, so can my players. I also use a folding tray table beside of my seat for over flow of books.
http://crystalcaste.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CC&Category_Code=BT

great minds think alike. I invented the basic concept of that about a decade ago (for myself).

I had made a 3'x3' table with short legs. You'd set it on top of the game table. Minis and map go on it. Books, etc go under it.

Perram

Explorer
OK, that looks awesome. I am assuming (the photos are ok, but not great), the legs fold up inside? Is it large enough to hold the Pathfinder flip mats?

They fit on it perfectly, it is almost the exact same size. Its a little longer, but the flip mats fit perfectly inside the frame and wont scoot around.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads