D&D General GM's Closet for the CONAN RPG

Water Bob

Adventurer
CONAN THE NEWSPAPER STRIPS

61oj4nO1oHL._SY374_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I started reading this, and I am quite surprised! Quite pleasantly surprised! I'm just into the first story, but it's good! I'm really enjoying it. Of course, this first story is written by Roy Thomas and illustrated by John Buscema. Later, I see that Ernie Chan comes onboard as illustrator, and Red Sonja shows up in the later stories!

MAY100028-02._QL80_TTD_.jpg

Conan+the+newspaper+strips+the+First+Sunday.jpg

SSoC27-10_zpsdc03637a.jpg~original

Water Bob

Adventurer
RUNNING GAMES IN ARGOS VII

TRADE

The citizens of Argos refer to their kingdom as the trading capital of the world, and the kingdom may very well be that. Everything is traded somewhere in the kingdom. Wide rivers and caravan routes lead to the Hyborian nations. And the many seaports on the Argossean coast lead to sea trade primarly with Shem and Kush, and even with rivals Zingara and Stygia. Argos is the western most anchor of the Road of Kings.

Wheat, olives, and grapes are the primary agricultural products from the kingdom's interior, but trade of these items remains, for the most part, inside of Argos itself.

Interior Argos is dotted with forests that provide the lumber needed for the ship building industry.

Goods or all sorts travel the caravan routes and rivers to Aquilonia and beyond. Pickled fish and velvet wrapped jewels are common trade goods.

Imports of cattle and grain are common.

Argos is acknowledged (except by its rival, Zingara) as the maker of the best sea going vessels in the world. But, Argos will only sell small merchant vessels. The larger military vessels are kept as a closely guarded secret.

MESSANTIAN TRADE

The capital of Argos, Messantia, is also the kingdom's largest city. It lies at the mouth of the Khorotas River, on a deep port of the Great Western Ocean. The city was built on the ruins of an ancient Acheronian site, and the Road of Kings begins at Messantia, running far to the east.

Messantia is famed for its clockmakers and finesmiths and its delicate jewelry using gold mined from the Argossean hills.

With Shem, Messantia trades mirrors, silk clothing, armor, weapons and shields.

With Kush, Messantia trades beads, silk, sugar, and weapons in exchange for copra, copper ore, slaves, and pearls.

Remove ads