• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GMs: What (across all editions) was your favorite adventure to RUN?

I had a lot of fun running Isle of Dread, at least three times. And rather obscurely, Needle was one I got fun out of. But most of my favourite adventures to run aren't D&D, which seems to be what you're asking about. Borderlands and Mucnhrooms for Runequest, Death on the Reik and Something Rotten in Kislev for Warhammer, the Sky Raiders trilogy and other FASA and DGP adventures for TRaveller, etc.

Jhaelen

First Post
None. I hate repeating myself.

Almost all of the adventures I loved DMing were homebrew anyway, or at least so thoroughly modified they weren't recognizable for anyone knowing the original module.

D'karr

Adventurer
Not *read*, but something someone else published, which you ran, and which you loved and would run again.

Not even "finished," it's cool if you got halfway through and stopped for whatever reason. As long as you thought "Man this is awesome" while you were running it.

There are three particular adventures that I've run in multiple editions and with which I've had a blast.

I6 Ravenloft is my all time favorite. I've run it with in 1e, 3.0, 3.5 and 4e. Everytime it has been a blast. With 4e I had a great time converting Strahd into a real menacing villain. The final fight in the crypts was awesome.

The original A1-A4 Slavers series is another one of my favorites. I ran it in 1e and it was a great lot of fun, and I've converted it to 4e and we are playing through it right now.

And the whackiest of all X2 - Chateau d'Amberville (Castle Amber). I absolutely love the whacky feel of the place and the adventure in Averoigne is fantastic. It is due to this adventure that I've taken great interest in the works of Clark Ashton Smith. My players are soon going to be playing an adventure based on "The Beast of Averoigne". I've already put all the hooks in place. At this time all I have to do is have the beast start rampaging across the countryside.

Last edited:

A

amerigoV

I also really like Village of Hommlet. There is a ton of flexibility and it has the classic "home base" that the PCs can explore from. There are a nice number of plot hooks hidden in the text of the town that can be used to expand your options. I had a blast recently narrowing it down and running it at Origins as a one shot.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Too many to list, I love a lot of the already mentioned ones, plus Age of Worms, Rise of the Runelords, Kingmaker, Curse of the Crimson Throne and of course the Freeport series.

I think I can also count Way of the Wicked and War of the Burning Sky here although we are far from finished with them.

Shadeydm

First Post
3 way tie

The original Ravenloft
Dwellers of the Forbidden City
Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

Hmm, it would seem I really like the I series modules lol.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm really surprised nobody's mentioned Lakofka's "Bone Hill" yet - whenever anyone asks how to design an adventure that's where I point them. Great stuff in it, and enough ways to approach it all that it's never the same twice. It's designed for low-ish levels but it's dirt simple to beef it up if needed.

"Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun" is another favourite to run - it's simple to DM, the players always love bashing Giants, and it's the sort of thing that's always easy to drop into any campaign.

"Quest for the Heartstone" (at least I think that's what it's called) is another one I've run a few times and had lots of fun with. Make sure you use the pre-gen encounters on the journey to the place as well, a few of them are priceless!

I think I'd have a much better opinion of "Forge of Fury" if I'd ever been able to run it all the way through - the one time I tried, the party bailed after only doing about half of it. (in fairness, they'd completed their mission; they just didn't stick around and explore the rest of the place) But the half I ran was pretty good.

My all-time favourite, however, is "Nakki-Nakk", a friend's homebrew adventure* - I've run it twice now and would again in a heartbeat if I only had any players who hadn't already seen it! :)

* - this was also the very first adventure I ever played in; I didn't know what to make of it at the time, and only much later looking at it from a design (and DMing) perspective did I realize how good it really is. Players I've run in it since universally loved it.

Lanefan

Holy Bovine

First Post
Most of my favorites have been mentioned (X2 Castle Amber, I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City) but two others come to mind

X1 Isle of Dread - imo a superior 'introductory' adventure than most of the 'B' series (yes it was for 3rd or higher level PCs but it was also included in the Expert Boxed Set as an introduction to higher level play). It amazes me how much they crammed into 32 pages.

B4 Lost City - an amazing achievement with a 100 room dungeon and the bare bones for an underground city complete with competing factions! Again in 32 pages!

and just to go outside the D&D offerings I'll put the entirety of the Enemy Within campaign saga for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1E but most notable Death on the Reik and Shadows Over Bogenhofen. Excellent background fluff, fully fleshed out NPCs (some with over-the-top backstories that PCs have little chance of knowing but serve to give the gamemaster wonderful roleplay points to work off of) and truly evil villains even the most hardened anti-hero will want to see smashed up.

Remove ads