GMs - what is your vetting process for finding new players?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't have a formal process, largely because anyone coming to the table is either someone I already know personally, or someone that a player already at the table will vouch for.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Honestly, its been so many years since I had to look for someone brand new to me, I can't say I really have one I could articulate. I think back in the day it was "try them out and see how it works out" but that was also in the period when I was mostly running games where a new PC could wander in or out without overly disrupting things.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
In our teens, we largely played with friends- even at game stores.
In our 20s, we played with random people at game stores because most of our friends had gone off to different colleges (and online play sucked then). Some of the random people from game stores became friends.
In our 30s, we reconnected with old friends and made some friends of friends' friends. More players!

Then, a couple years back (mid-30s), I started pro DMing (mostly online). I still don't really have a vetting process? We talk a bit over chat back and forth, I ask a bunch of questions to know where they're at with TTRPGs and play experience, I give a couple examples of how I run my games and if they're cool with that... and then they try out a session! If it clicks they stay, if not then they usually say "thanks!" and that's it :LOL:

I've only ever had to "invite someone to leave" once, and that was in our 20s at the game store.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
Was reading another thread where a DM mentioned players passing their vetting process. If if not formalized, every DM has a vetting process. Generally, you need to limit the number of players in a campaign. I'll write up some of my thoughts of how I vet players for my games and experiences I've had on the player side. But don't wait for me! Share your thoughts on what works--or doesn't--for vetting players.
For store games, I don't have one, other than "doesn't piss off the regulars nor violate the safe space rules of the store." But that's store rules, anyway.

For home games, since I live too far for my players, they need to have been invited by the host or with the host's permission, and accept that there are limits to acceptable play. We set those as a group.

Remove ads