D&D 5E Gnome Wizard Starter Spells

laughinggas

First Post
About to start a multi-shot starting at level 1 and was looking for input on spells.

Stats were rolled and I rolled well. As such, I am a Forest Gnome with 20 Intelligence and 19 Dexterity.

Cantrips:
Minor Illusion (from forest gnome)
Prestidigitation
Firebolt
Toll the Dead

I figure these give me some good RP and fun uses as well as 2 different defenses to target for at will damage

Lvl 1 spells:
Detect Magic
Grease
Mage Armor
Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Thunderwave
Unseen Servant or Find Familiar

Lvl 2 selection (when I get there):
Find Familiar or Unseen Servant
Absorb Elements

I figure this selection gives a decent amount of utility, control, damage, and defense. Am I overlooking any spells in particular? I haven't listed shield because I will have 17 AC with Mage Armor to start with.

Gavin O.

First Post
I still think you should take shield. It's still a fantastic spell. 17 AC is still a reachable amount for the monsters you might face at level one
At level 1, the most powerful spell in the game is Sleep. It doesn't offer a saving throw, and on average puts 22.5 HP worth of enemy creatures to sleep, where your allies can then likely one-shot them with an automatic critical hit.
I would also swap out Thunderwave for Magic Missile. Thunderwave is unfriendly (as in, it hits allies) and it requires your enemies to basically be in melee range. (it has a radius of 10 feet and is centered on yourself) 2d8 damage averages to 9, where magic missile does 10.5 damage on average, gives you much better targeting, and always hits.

Remove ads