Gnomes vs. Halflings - Demihuman genocide!

Gnomes vs. Halflings!

• Gnomes!

Votes: 89 42.6%
  • Halflings!

Votes: 120 57.4%

kolikeos

First Post
Hussar said:
Then again if you look at the new cover of the Margaret Weis DL book, Tasselhoff looks like a bloody short vulcan. :uhoh:

I'd like to see gnomes finally given a niche. I don't care particularly what it is, but, I just want to see gnomes done well. Poor bastard children of dwarves and short elves. I mean, they live underground, but love nature. They are technological, but magical at the same time.

Like I said, bastard offspring of elves and dwarves.
coo! that totaly changes my vote! (voted halflings but this makes me like gnomes better :):) )

Fenes

First Post
Can we vote for "have them exterminate each other"?

On a tangent, even if they did cut out one race - despite all the background in their campaign worlds - it would return in the race sourcebook "4 the small people".

Radovarl

First Post
Gnomes!

Gnomes, all the way! Aside from the fact that halflings have been altered in RPGs beyond recognizability from the lovable little hobbit chaps we all knew and loved from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, my first AD&D character was a gnome thief and inhabits a special (and small, root-filled, musty) place in my heart. What more can be done with halflings, anyway; between DL's kender, Eberron's dinosaur hobbits, D&Ds gypsy midget-elves, etc., I don't even like the little fellas any more.

What's more, gnomes should replace humans as the dominant race in all D&D worlds, and receive +2 to all ability scores and an extra 2 feats and 14 extra skill points at first level, to make up for the short shrift they've received in every previous edition of the game :).

awayfarer

First Post
I voted for the Gnomes. I've never played either race but it comes down to one simple fact: Someone with Prestidigitation is automatically cooler than someone without. Disagreeing with this automatically guarantees a little prestidigitated "accident" in your pants. Probably at a time that will be incredibly socially awkward. Remember, soiled objects remain that way for one hour.

jinx crossbow

First Post
I voted Halfling, because in the most worlds i like them much more
than the gnomes.
In Eberron the situation is switched. These coloUrful Gnomes
are what I allways wanted them to be like.

Jinx

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Gnomes don't have a niche. Everyone keps messing with the gnomes to give them a niche. But there still isn't one after 10 years.

Nuke the gnomes from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
BiggusGeekus said:
Nuke the gnomes from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.

Right, sure. And if just one of them fails to go off, you now have gnomes reverse engineering the thing. Then you'll see some niche-carving, I tell you :)

I think the "niche" argument is a bit of a red herring. Humanoids are versitile enough that you can fill all niches simultaneously with one species (like in our real world). How, then, do we come to the conclusion that each species needs a separate niche predetermined for them.

Gnomes are one of the more distinctive races out there, and that's the key to having a niche in RPGs. In and of themselves, they have far more depth and richness of flavor than humans and half-elves put together. Play that distinctiveness, and you'll find they have a niche.

Remove ads