• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goblin Cavalry on Worgs

the Jester

Legend
Celebrim said:
Artoomis:

First, only a heavy lance is a reach weapon. Light lances are not. Secondly, although it is not strictly speaking realistic, there is nothing in the rules that prevents you riding by the defender and executing the double damage lance attack when you have already gone by. (Such a rule would have to read something like, 'In order to recieve double damage, you must make the attack when the target first enters your threat range.')

Well, actually, when you charge you have to attack as soon as you threaten your foe.

Macbrea

First Post
Yes, but if you overrun your opponent then you have the option to attack the opponent as you pass by them if they don't get out of the way. Or are unable to do so because of the trample feat.

Personally: My worg riders would look like.

Goblin fighter 1
Feats: Mounted combat (virtual), Trample, Ride-by-attack

Goblin Fighter 1/Barb 1
Feats: Mounted combat (virtual), Trample, Ride-by-attack

Goblin fighter 2/Barb 1
Feats: Mounted combat (virtual), Trample, Ride-by-attack, Spirited charge, mounted archery

goblin fighter 3/barb 3
Feats: Mounted combat (virtual), Trample, Ride-by-attack, Spirited charge, mounted archery, point blank shot

goblin fighter 4/barb 3
Feats: Mounted combat (virtual), Trample, Ride-by-attack, Spirited charge, mounted archery, point blank shot, Rapid shot

goblin fighter 4/barb 5
Feats: Mounted combat (virtual), Trample, Ride-by-attack, Spirited charge, mounted archery, point blank shot, rapid shot, far shot

Those should pretty much annoy any group for quite along time.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
I'd let the goblins do their charge damage after the trip because the rules are lacking and it doesn't seem unbalancing. Really though, it would be a reasonable house rule to say that a lance charge has to be resolved before any attacks made by the mount. It's your call.

Macbrea

First Post
I think mounted combat section says,

The mount moves and gets a standard action. Any rider on board may take a partial action when the mount is done moving. Unless he is firing a bow, in which case he may make a full attack action with a bow anywhere along the movement.

Ride-by-attack says the rider may make an attack anywhere along the movement without provoking an AoO to him or his mount. So, unless your using a trample (overrun) action your mount cannot make an attack except at the beginning or the end of the movement. He would need springing attack to do that.

This means the worg charges its opponent and can attack. Then the rider gets his partial action. Which could have been a partial charge. That partial action can go at anytime during the movement if they have ride-by attack. Nothing prevent it from going after movement except if the goblin is wielding a heavy lance. In which case reach prevents it from going at that point.

Lord Ben

First Post
Here is how I'll probably do it.

With ride by it's fairly obvious that the worg doesn't attack, so that's normal.

Charging with lance: lance attacks, worg attacks, do trip manuver

Already in melee and just manuvering: worg attacks, then goblin goes and tries to bash in his skull with the flail if he's on the ground

Charging with a flail: Same as lance do you think? Or would the goblin still have momentum after the Worg bites into the fighters leg and drags him to the ground. I lean towards no and I'd still do the charge action first and trip second.

Now the second wave of goblins would probably have prone targets to attack, that could get interesting... :) Maybe juice up the power attack feat a little bit and triple the lance damage... :) Power attack damage would triple too right? Yipes!!

Lord Ben

First Post
Here is a 4th level broken saddle member:

Broken Saddle Clan, male goblin Bbn2/Ftr2: CR 3; ECL 4; Small Humanoid (goblinoid); HD 2d10+2d12+4; hp 28; Init +3; Spd 30 ft; AC 14 (+3 Dex, +1 size); Melee mw light lance +9 (1d6+2/crit x3), or mw light flail +8 (1d8+2); Ranged mw shortbow +9 (1d6/crit x3); SA rage; SQ darkvision 60 ft, fast movement, uncanny dodge; AL CE; SV Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +0; Str 14, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 6.

Skills and Feats: Ride +18, Handle Animal +5, Spot +7; Mounted Combat (virtual), Ride By Attack, Spirited Charge, Weapon Focus (light Lance), Power Attack.

SA–Rage (Ex): 1/day, Broken Saddle Clan can fly into a screaming blood frenzy for 6 rounds. Broken Saddle Clan gains +4 Str, +4 Con, and a +2 morale bonus vs. fear, but suffers -2 to AC. After the rage, Broken Saddle Clan is winded.

SQ–Uncanny Dodge: Dex bonus to AC.

Equipment: mw light lance, mw shortbow, mw light flail.

When raging and charging he'll have +13 to hit, nice. 3d6+6 damage only. If I knock some power attack into it I could get +10 to hit and 3d6+15 damage. I like my clan... interesting combatants.

Lord Ben

First Post
Sure, what level do you want them at? I don't have the skills perfectly done due to multiclassing confusion, etc but they're about right.

Send me an email and I can get you the stat blocks. For those and other random encounters I've been designing.

Lela

First Post
Lord Ben said:
Sure, what level do you want them at? I don't have the skills perfectly done due to multiclassing confusion, etc but they're about right.

I found that the D&D FAQ is really useful in figuring out skill point confussion due to multiclassing.

Lord Ben said:
Send me an email and I can get you the stat blocks. For those and other random encounters I've been designing.

I'd be happy to. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads