• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goblin Hexer - Stinging Hex

rvalle

First Post
This is a ranged attack vs Will, the target takes 3d6 + 1 damage if it moves on its turn, save ends.

What happens when the attack rolls a 20?

Since its an attack I assumed it was a crit. But the damage doesn't happen till the target moves on his turn. And... does it do crit damage every turn till the target saves??

I did it as crit damage on the first turn and then it was going to be random damage on any turn after that till the save ends.

rv

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
I think that's how I'd do it too - max damage the first time, rolled after that if they don't save. However, that's completely without reference from the books; hopefully someone with a book handy or more of the rules memorized will stop by and see if they can give some clarification as to what the intended effect is.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
This is a ranged attack vs Will, the target takes 3d6 + 1 damage if it moves on its turn, save ends.

What happens when the attack rolls a 20?

I've not got any books to hand but is it something like ranged attack vs will that does 3d6 damage, then does an extra 1 damage if it moves on its turn?

Cheers

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
I've not got any books to hand but is it something like ranged attack vs will that does 3d6 damage, then does an extra 1 damage if it moves on its turn?

Cheers
Actually, that sounds a lot more likely than no initial damage and 3d6+1 if they move (save ends). I imagine Plane Sailing is right ... but we need someone with books at hand to confirm ;)

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Actually, that sounds a lot more likely than no initial damage and 3d6+1 if they move (save ends). I imagine Plane Sailing is right ... but we need someone with books at hand to confirm ;)

"What a shame we don't have a d20srd site I can just check it up on", I thought.

"Hey" I thought. "There is this whizzy D&D compendium now. I'll check it up on there"

Goes away. Searches for goblin and gets all the goblins from keep on the shadowfell H1 and dragon magazines, but no other goblins.

Nothing from the Monster Manual at all.

Is that how the compendium is supposed to work?!?

bganon

Explorer
No, I think it's pretty clear that there's no damage unless the target moves.

All the rules really say is that a crit means max damage, so I think strictly speaking a hexer that crits with stinging hex deals 19 damage if the target moves, and yes it does 19 damage until the target saves. Of course, as DM you can always fudge it.

Keep in mind the target should know what they've been hit with, so it's not hard to avoid taking damage. And only movement during their turn triggers damage, so forced movement or immediate actions don't count. In the end, I think the real lesson is: always carry a ranged weapon.

Last edited:

rvalle

First Post
No, I think it's pretty clear that there's no damage unless the target moves.

All the rules really say is that a crit means max damage, so I think strictly speaking a hexer that crits with stinging hex deals 19 damage if the target moves, and yes it does 19 damage until the target saves. Of course, as DM you can always fudge it.

Keep in mind the target should know what they've been hit with, so it's not hard to avoid taking damage. And only movement during their turn triggers damage, so forced movement or immediate actions don't count. In the end, I think the real lesson is: always carry a ranged weapon.

I was unsure about how to play the 'you know what is happening' angle. I told him ( a dragonborn Warlord) that the skin under his scales was itchy but that was it (after the goblin hexer hit yelled at him 'May Graxnorn the Formless eat your skin!").

Once he moved I hit him with the bad news as the damage kicked in. Unfortunately instead of it being a learning exp. "Hey, it hurts when I move" he dropped below 0 from the damage. 19 points to a 1st level Warlord is still a hard knock even in 4.0.

It did let us try the death and dying rules for the first time so it was a different kind of learning experience. :)

rv

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
"What a shame we don't have a d20srd site I can just check it up on", I thought.

"Hey" I thought. "There is this whizzy D&D compendium now. I'll check it up on there"

Goes away. Searches for goblin and gets all the goblins from keep on the shadowfell H1 and dragon magazines, but no other goblins.

Nothing from the Monster Manual at all.

Is that how the compendium is supposed to work?!?
Haha, yeah, I did the same thing. I was all excited when I saw that Monsters tab, too :( Hopefully they will update it with the MM monsters ... we'll see.

Can someone post the goblin's power description? (That's allowed, right?) It's not that I don't trust you guys ... I just trust me more ;)

Tellerve

I was unsure about how to play the 'you know what is happening' angle. I told him ( a dragonborn Warlord) that the skin under his scales was itchy but that was it (after the goblin hexer hit yelled at him 'May Graxnorn the Formless eat your skin!").

Once he moved I hit him with the bad news as the damage kicked in. Unfortunately instead of it being a learning exp. "Hey, it hurts when I move" he dropped below 0 from the damage. 19 points to a 1st level Warlord is still a hard knock even in 4.0.

It did let us try the death and dying rules for the first time so it was a different kind of learning experience. :)

rv

I was going through some Dnd mechanics with a new player and was doing a mock combat that included a goblin hexer, read the power and thought, wow that's a lot of damage. But as has been pointed out, only if you move, and you, the player hexed, should know something about the fact that moving would be bad.

I told the player that translucent bands of golden energy, with spikes pointed inwards were circling her, and pulsed closer everytime she moved herself. So, basically I made it clear that it was the moving that was making the bands close in and led her to the understanding that if she moved more they would close completely on her and damage her.

My 2 cents,

Tellerve

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads