Goblin Wolf-Rider

6pakofdwarves

First Post
I like it, I had a player in my Eberron campaign who wanted to be a Goblin wolf-rider. We just came up with a ranger that subbed out the combat style with mounted combat feats. It worked out really well, but I like the idea of a prestige class. Another thing you could use is the WOTC website feat: Wild Cohort, that way they could start out riding and then progress from there.

Nyaricus

First Post
dude, this is awesome.

i am creating a campaign world that is heavily influenced by Tolkien, adn this is *almost* a perfect match for what i was looking for. I'd want to go into the rules a bit just to make sure that using a worg/dire wolf mount is balanced, and i wouldn't tie them to the paladin class or the blackguard PrC. They are more like scouting fighters > more of a rangerish class than pally. but regardless of specifics for flavour, NICE WORK!!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Nyaricus said:
i wouldn't tie them to the paladin class or the blackguard PrC.
The intention wasn't to tie them to it, but merely to support goblin character concepts that also used those classes. You can't tell me that a goblin ranger/blackguard/wolf-rider on a fiendish worg mount isn't a concept worth supporting! :D

The special mount ability only matters if a character already has a special mount. I grabbed the idea from the Cavalier PrC.

Nyaricus

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
The intention wasn't to tie them to it, but merely to support goblin character concepts that also used those classes. You can't tell me that a goblin ranger/blackguard/wolf-rider on a fiendish worg mount isn't a concept worth supporting! :D

The special mount ability only matters if a character already has a special mount. I grabbed the idea from the Cavalier PrC.

i see where you are soming from, but i was just reffering to what i would do in my campaign setting. Also, its worth mentioning that my campaign doesnt support the Paladin or Blackguard class/PrC; instead i have a crusader class, which is essentually a holy-warrior (and i have gotten rid of the standard cleric, which is a better holy-warrior than the paladin will ever be :p; and also, he [the Crusader class] doesnt have a special mount as a class ability). Very similar to the Paladin/Blackguard classes, but he has his own special abilities and such. Maybe i'll post what i have so far in a while, but for now, he is still being edited.

And again, wicked Goblin Wolf-rider.

Nyaricus

First Post
After thinking about it some more, I'm thinking the Mounted defense ability needs to be uses per day is the way to go. Would three sound good?

yeah, sounds good. i was going to look everything over myself, but you haev pointedout that point already. id say 3+Cha mod (with a minimum of one); after all, you are convincing your mount thats its a GOOD idea to take a hit for you, but goblins arn't exactly the most persuasive characters, so it plays well on racial steriotypes. on the down side, your mount could become easily frustrated with you for making it take al those hits . . . .

. . . . or maybe he doesnt know about how fast you go through mounts. Either way, good idea

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I like that suggestion:

Goblin Wolf-Rider

They are the stuff of legend: Goblins, mounted on dire wolves or worgs, sweeping down on their enemy in a black tide of death. More than simple mounted warriors, goblin wolf-riders have both an uncanny affinity with their wolf mounts and great skill, both as a rider and typically as an archer.

Rumor has it the art of the goblin wolf-riding techniques were first taught to them by barghests, and even greater secrets are taught to those who pledge their loyalty to the goblin fiends.

Goblin wolf-riders are most commonly warriors, fighters, barbarians and rangers prior to choosing this path.

Hit Die: d8

Requirements
To qualify to become a goblin wolf-rider, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria:

Race: Goblin
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Ride 4 ranks
Languages: Worg
Feats: Mounted Combat

Class Skills
The goblin wolf-rider's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis)

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are features of the goblin wolf-rider prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A goblin wolf-rider is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with light armor, but not with shields.

Special Mount (Sp): A goblin wolf-rider's class level stacks with any blackguard or paladin levels the character may have for determining the characteristics of a blackguard or paladin mount, if the mount is a wolf or wolf-like being.

Pack mate (Ex): Goblin wolf-riders are accepted and respected by wolves and wolf-like beings (such as winter wolves and worgs) in a way few others are. A goblin wolf-rider gains a competence bonus equal to his class level on all Charisma-based skills interacting with such creatures, including wild empathy checks.

Bonus Feats: At 2nd and 4th level, a goblin wolf-rider gets a bonus combat-oriented feat. These feats must be chosen from the following list: Animal Affinity, Far Shot, Manyshot, Mounted Archery, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Ride-By Attack, Shot on the Run.

Mounted defense (Ex): A goblin wolf-rider may choose to take a blow for his mount or choose to have his mount do the same. When an enemy threatens in melee and makes a successful attack against the mount or the goblin wolf-rider, the wolf-rider may choose which of the two takes the damage (and other effects, if any) of the blow as though they had been hit instead. This ability may be used a number of times per day equal to three plus the goblin wolf-rider's Charisma bonus, if any, with a minimum of one use a day.

Vengeful rage (Ex): When a goblin wolf-rider or his mount is killed, the other immediately flies into a deadly rage identical to a barbarian's rage. This rage does not count against any other uses of rage granted to the goblin wolf-rider or his mount by other means.

Code:
The Goblin Wolf-Rider
Level	BAB	Fort	Ref	Will	Special
1	+1	+0	+2	+0	Special mount, Pack mate
2	+2	+0	+3	+0	Bonus feat
3	+3	+1	+3	+1	Mounted defense
4	+4	+1	+4	+1	Bonus feat
5	+5	+1	+4	+1	Vengeful rage

Last edited:

Nyaricus

First Post
This ability may be used a number of times per day equal to one plus the goblin wolf-rider's Charisma bonus, if any.

hold up just a second. when i said "to a minimun of one" i was reffering to if you had, say, a Cha score of 5 (-3 mod) and you were to start with the basic number of three, you couldnt go below one use per day; even though you would technically use this ability 0 times per day, given a Cha score of 5, youd still be able to use it 1/day.

i think 3 is a good number to start with. goblins have -2 Cha already, after all. no need to bring down thier very own PrC. (or deviate away from one of the standards of D&D > thiink rounds barbs stay in a rage, etc).

Remove ads