• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gods, paladin, and clerics.

Cartigan Mrryl

First Post
Heya everybody. Alright, I started this thread in regards to a problem with a certain paladin mercilessly beating a halfling prisoner to death. I would like to know how DMs deal with certain... justifiable actions that a paladin could possibly do. I deal with them in this way:
At creation, I not only make a Paladin choose a God(I make almost everyone who doesn't specifically choose to NOT worship a God to choose one), I also make him choose ONE domain from that God's profile. He mainly has to life by those standards (if he chooses Protection as his domain, he's obligated to defend those who can't defend themselves. War would make him seek out evil and destroy it.) I've also added a few new domains: Wrath, Righteous Fury, Judgement, and Indignation. Obviously, Wrath is a Blackguard one but yeah... I also made God's who sympathize with Paladins (Either because they were a mortal once themselves or are sympathetic with the position. For instance, Volark, God of Righteous Fury and Oaths.
A paladin in my game (the group comprised of slightly lower level fighters(2), a ranger, and a sorceror) He swore an oath to... I think it was St. Cuthbert? To protect them all and not let any danger come to them. They were attacked by a large group of Orcs (the ones they were hunting had gone for reinforcements.) and the rest of the group slowly died... it was almsot funny, yet sad at the time. There were approximately 14 or 15 orcs against the 5 of them. He was up front and doing well, the fighters were buffed by the sorceror and the ranger was picking off the orcs with a magical bow he had "found" (I called it Orcslayer.. oddly it changed hands rather quickly, I think that a fighter in one of my campaigns have it now.[Note: i should probably rename it the "Dead Man's Bow"... to anyone who knows the series of a similar name...]). When they seemed to be winning, I rolled a critical with an orc fighting one of the weaker fighters... -15 and he was dead. The other fighter fell via overrunning and the paladin ended up having to pull back. It was all falling apart when he and the Ranger held back the orcs while the sorceror, low on spells, flung her last remaining spells and then flung stones. 5 orcs left... ranger falls to ANOTHER critical and the orcs, hungry for blood, run past the paladin and to the sorceror, who doesn't stand much of a chance.
Mr. Paladin, I think his name was Alduuran, was rightly P.O'ed so what happened is the paladin was strong enough to kill off the remaining orcs. He healed himself whatever he could, then he hurried on his way to the orcs encampment. His player was hurting from the failed Oath, so he decided his character snapped and rushed the base. Women and children were all the was left, maybe a few juvenile orcs, but nothing anywhere near a challenge. He killed ALL of them. It was sad. He knew he had lost his paladin-hood and he really liked playing as a Paladin, he was always the paladin, cleric, or a righteous fighter, always anti-evil. So what ended up happening was he could feel himself losing his Gods grace but then an avatar of Volark appeared and "passed along his God's sympathy" and told him that his God would be happy to take the Semi-Paladin under his wings. He picked a new domain (surprise, surprise, Righteous Fury) and lost a few levels of paladin (I replaced them with Fighter... no class abilities or such, just the levels (to show the loss of Paladin holy-strength) and as he's a new paladin of Volark, I gave him Volark's abilities (A very nice Righteous Anger ability [think Rage, except not quite as long lasting] and a Godly Enervation ability [ doesn't lose consciousness at 0 HP]) so he became a new paladin. He continued his adventures and ACTUALLY retired... this in a DM's game who shows next to NO mercy with his players characters.
So... does anyone have any other ways to give Paladins a LITTLE more flexibility(Because the whole idea behind the paladin is his black-and-white ideals)? Or a story? Or want input with an idea?

Nyaricus

First Post
Morning Cartigan Mrryl.

just thought i'd give you the heads up on this thread here: My Paladin killed a child molester (and now my DM wants to take away my powers!) http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=89392 and it's follow-up thread My Paladin killed a.. 2nd thread (The Verdict is IN - p4) http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=89486. (and also this other thread in which the Paladins character gives a summing-up of what happened afterwards: Thank-you, Gentlemen of the Jury (says the Pedophile-Killing Paladin) http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89630 This gives good examples left, right and center to what you could do in a situation like this. As for my own experiences, i'll post those in a subsequent post.

Cheers

Nyaricus

First Post
BTW it appears you accidentally double-posted. Just rename the second, redundant one [sorry, double-post. Moderators, please delete] and leave it at that ;) Later

Kisanji Arael

First Post
As I see it, the role of the Paladin is the purest of the pure, and people on these boards expect the best of him. You talk of black and white ideals, but what are they? Some people expect 1: for him to uphold a good Christian moral code while some expect 2: for him to be the righteous justice of a lawless land, whichcreates a conflict. The problem is that paladins (or people with a moral structure) don't grow usually up in lawless lands, but by the same token, paladins should not be held to Christian moral codes, because they don't exist within D&D. In our world, killing is permanent. In our world, we don't know jack about the afterlife, at least compared to D&D, where it's very clearly defined.

Personally, I divide my Paladins into Redeeming, Protecting, Vanquishing, and Questing Knights (Arthurian standard). They each get much different sets of powers than the average Pally, and are only bound by their personal task, whatever it may be. I prefer this because it lets the players control a righeous knight who only cares about slaying dragons. And characters that care more for redeeming are bound to be much more RP oriented, so I give them more powers to compensate. However, the Redeemer (who is bound to the highest moral standard, approaching the Vow of Peace) gains more benefits and is overall a much better team player than the Vanquisher.

You did the right thing as a DM in that situation, just as he did the right thing as a player. I would even award him the few feats he missed over time. If you seek to change the Paladin, then you need to decide what moral standard (as the DM) you are going to hold them to, and tell them as such. If you want to branch it out, decide which aspect of righteousness you care most for, and shift the moral code to compensate.

Cartigan Mrryl

First Post
Thanks to Nyaricus for the update about the pally...
In regards to the first part of your arguement -

Paladins are held in strict training areas, taught the scriptures of their gods... here is where they are taught whatever moral structure they might need to know. (Oh, I didn't clearly cover the paladin ideas in my original post, Paladin's are allowed to be Lawful, and of any alignment. They mete out justice to whomever happens to need it. (Then a Blackguard just acts as a more powerful Evil paladin... errr... I don't call them Anti-Paladin because in my campaign the Anti-Paladin is a class in it's own right, an assassin for paladins.) I believe that for the most part, Paladins who DON'T RP some sort of Fall From Light bit lose their paladin levels. If it's just a spontaneous, "I think I'll kill anyone who gets in my way," thing - the character is gone, because besides the lost paladin powers, they're bound to meet a level 15 Something-or-other in there....

Anyways, I'm not entirely sure about your style. I like it... but I'm not entirely sure how it's work out....

Remove ads