• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Golden Age 2001

SuperJoe

First Post
So I have a PBP Mutants and Masterminds Supers campaign idea, but before I fully develop it, I'd like to gauge interest.

System: Mutants & Masterminds 2e (w/ Ultimate Power Sourcebook Allowed), PL10-12
Flavor: Golden Age feel in modern times
Location: Modified Freedom City, with Freedom City replacing New York.
Time: The immediate aftermath of the 9/11 attacks (WTC being in FC).

The "Golden Age" of Superhero comics refers to the WW2 period, in which supers, often directly working for the military or other government entities, went to war against Nazis and their allies, up until the Red Scare when writers decided to distance supers from the US vs. Bad Guys system. It was a world in which the good guys were good, the bad guys were bad, and the heroes were mighty and heroic.

Their are today plenty of real-world villains throughout the world who could easily make good supervillains in need of being brought to justice. In addition to international terrorists, most of the world lives under various forms of dictators, tyrants, kleptocrats, gangsters, fanatics, or run of the mill thugs. In an alternate universe with super-science, mutations, ancient artifacts, and mercenary or ideologically-driven supers, these mundane threats can turn into something more.

The superteam will either work for the government or be a quasi-independent entity with a good working relationship with the government and access to certain governmental resources (players' choice). It will have been formed in response to the 9/11 atttacks to deal with the numerous serious threats out there without necessarily resorting to large-scale military conflict. Being Golden Age in flavor, there won't be "government/populace fear/hate supers and take steps against them" plotlines, or "bad guys' badness is our fault" plotlines. Opponents would include terrorist groups with supervillain involvement, various oppressors, human rights violators, and war criminals worldwide, as well as their agents and their sinister designs on their neighbors and the world. Most will be based on real world figures (I am assuming that PBP games have looser rules on real world politics and religion, but mods, feel free to correct me on that).

Everyone feel free to express interest or make suggestions. The world will bend to player interest to a degree.

Last edited:

Remove ads