Gomez's Masks of Nyarlathotep CoC Game: OOC

Gomez

First Post
Masks-of-Nyarlathotep.jpg

And at the last from inner Egypt came
The strange dark One to whom the fellahs bowed;
Silent and lean and cryptically proud,
And wrapped in fabrics red as sunset flame.
Throngs pressed around, frantic for his commands,
But leaving, could not tell what they had heard;
While through the nations spread the awestruck word
That wild beasts followed him and licked his hands.

Soon from the sea a noxious birth began;
Forgotten lands with weedy spires of gold;
The ground was cleft, and mad auroras rolled
Down on the quaking citadels of man.
Then, crushing what he chanced to mould in play,
The idiot Chaos blew Earth's dust away.

- H.P. Lovecraft, Fungi from Yuggoth - Sonnet XXI.

Hello I would like to run a Complete Masks of Nyarlathotep game using Call of Cthulhu rules. Wanted: Four to Six stout adventurer and/or adventuress to unravel the fate of the doomed Carlyle Expedition. The campaign, set in 1925, is a Lovecraftian exercise in horror and mystery. Play begins in New York City. This is a classic and great campaign. I hope to do it justice.

There will be a healthy mix of investigation, mystery, role-play, and terror filled combat. All player characters should be connected in someway with each other and/or Jackson Elias, a author who specializes in writing about death cults such the Thuggees or Amazonean headhunters. The players will come up with these connections as they build their characters.

This is a long campaign and I promise to keep it going as long as there are players who want to play. Players should be able post at least 4 times a week.

G

Last edited:

Hello Gomez

Being a fan of CoC and a tabletop GM I can tell you that running a CoC game over here is not a wise thing. Most of the people over here play D&D, pathfinder and the like and the Cthulhu community is very small. I transferred my CoC games and playing to play[MENTION=39652]Yo[/MENTION]g-Sothoth forums.
If you are still going to run this game on these boards I will happily join in as a player, as long you are going to use the CoC Chaosium rules and not the D20.

Gomez

First Post
Hey Strahd!

Yeah I had looked at running this game over at yog-sothoh.com but I decided to run it over here based on several different reasons; the community over here is huge compared to YSDC and they already have a Masks game running at the moment. I have successfully run several Call of Cthulhu games over here. Though that was a few years ago. :cool:

Hey if I can get someone to try Call of Cthulhu out for the first time that's cool too.

Yes, I am using BRP Call of Cthulhu rules, seems to be the preferred ruleset and it's easy to learn.

Insight

Adventurer
Hmm... character...

First thought is some sort of journalist who seems keen on investigating rumors of cults and forgotten gods. Maybe he's a little crazy, too. I'm thinking that he had some "encounter" with something "man was not meant to know" and is now obsessed with learning what is behind the veil.

I'll post more later.

Those are some nifty die rolls, to be honest.

STR, CON , DEX, POW, and APP: 16, 16, 16, 15, 12
SIZ and INT: 15 and 11
EDU: 18

[sblock=working on character]
Assigning scores as:
STR 12
CON 15
DEX 16
POW 16
APP 16
SIZ 11
INT 15
EDU 19

His derived characteristics:
SAN 80
Idea 75
Luck 80
Know 95
Damage Bonus +0
HP 19 *** Using Gomez's method ***
MP 16
San Pts 80

Age 35

Occupation Skill Pts: 380
Occupation Skills: English, Fast Talk, History, Library Use, Persuade, Photography, Psychology, one other skill (Ancient Egyptian).
- Spent on: Ancient Egyptian (Base 1%) + 74 = 75%, English (Base 95%) +4 = 99%, Fast Talk (Base 5%) + 55 = 60%, History (Base 20%) +75 = 95%, Library Use (Base 25%) + 65 = 90%, Persuade (Base 15%) + 67 = 82%, Photography (Base 10%) +20 = 30%, Psychology (Base 5%) + 20 = 25%
Personal Interest Skill Pts: 150
- Spent on: Anthropology (Base 5%) +15 = 20%, Archaeology (Base 5%) + 20 = 25%, Greek (Base 1%) + 59 = 60%, Listen (Base 25%) + 15 = 40%, Occult (Base 5%) + 26 = 31%, Spot Hidden (Base 25%) + 15 = 40%

Wealth (9): $10,000 yearly income - Assets $50,000; of that, $5,000 is banked and $5,000 is in stocks and bonds.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
I grabbed the Quick start for Chaosium CoC, so I'll take a look.

I really like this kind of games, investigation, mystery, role-play, and terror filled combat. I tried to put up a campaign of this sort on my own, using d20past, but it failed after 5 or 6 months. I think d20 is not the right system for those games, perhaps this one is?

Please note that I'm completely new to the system!

Voda Vosa

First Post
Doctor Hercules Malliotte

avefigueroa.jpg

General description:
Renown by his medical skills, Doctor Malliotte has an inquisitive nature and a keen eye for all things natural. He recognizes when something is not right in a person, spotting syntoms of illness and disease with ease. He also knows how to treat those problems, and has an extent list of formulas of his own invention to combat microbes. Hercules is big and bulky, and quite athletic for a man his size.

Backstory:
Hercules Malliotte was born in Belgium to a French father and Belgium mother. His size at birth and his resolve and tirelessly acticity was what own him his name. As a young boy, his interest for the natural world was evident, and it developed and branched, as Hercules delved in the depths of chemistry, biology and medicine. Ultimately, he graduated with honours from a prestigious university, and earn a name for himself, as the famous Belgium Doctor.
It was, well advanced in his 40s that he came in contact with Jackson Elias. He was a writer and studious of Death Cults, and visited Belgium to learn about the death rites of the Gauls. He was suffering some strange disorder in his gut, Malliotte pinpointed it as an intestinal parasite. With the proper medication, Elias's parasite was eliminated, allowing the good man to follow his journey. Since then, both men have shared extensive written correspondence, as they enjoy the profesional practices of each other. Recently, something in Elias's letters has began to puzzle Hercules. He doesn't know yet, but he is going to see the world around him change so quickly and drastically, that the mere pillars of reality will seem unstable, and about to topple...

Sex: Male
Education: Degree and PhD in medicine.

Attributes:

Strength: 11
Constitution: 13
Intelligence: 15
Education: 13
Appearance: 8
Power: 10
Size: 14
Dexterity: 16

Secondary abilities:

Idea: 75
Knowledge: 65
Luck: 50
Magic points: 10
Damage bonus: 25 (+1d4)
Hit points: 19 (13/3=4.3=5 +14)
Sanity: 50

Skill points: 195
Hobby skill points: 150

Skill points: 195 total
Hobby skill points: 150 total

Skill allocation
Points Base Total
Dodge 20 (32) 62
First aid 30 (30) 60
Biology 60 (01) 61
Chemistry 60 (01) 61
Craft phar 65 (05) 70
Pharmacy 60 (01) 61
Language -- (65) 65
Woodeaxre 40 (20) 60
Handguns 10 (20) 30

Equipment: Simple white shirt and brown suit grab, woodaxe, Luger pistol, box of bullets, notepad, pencil, first aid kit.

Last edited:

Remove ads