Good adventure or adventure series featuring slavers as the villain

grodog

Hero
That looks interesting as well - it says it's a sequel to A1-A4, though.

It is and it isn't: if you have Slavers, you have what amounts to an updating and expansion of the materials and environs in which the original A1-A4 modules were set (in the Wild Coast and Pomarj regions of the World of Greyhawk). The A1-4 supermodule added some additional background and such, but it also upped the levels of the original modules (which were all 4-7) to be played after T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil (levels 1-8) and to lead-into the GDQ1-7 supermodule (levels 8-14). So, A1-A4 got rewritten and tweaked to fit the T1-4/A1-4/GDQ1-7 storyline, which didn't help them out much, IMO. There are some interesting bits added to combine the supermodules into an Adventure Path, but the materials in the original A1-4 modules and in Slavers are definitely truer to the spirit of the original Greyhawk campaign.

IIRC, there were also some other good adventures from Dungeon set in the Pomarj and Wild Coast, if you're considering expanding the scope of the original modules too?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Bite your tongue! My God! We had a BLAST back in the day, playing through those things. Sure, they're old school AD&D "modules", but we loved them. And, when you get done, you go right into Against the Giants. Both series of adventures are officially set in the Greyhawk world, but they're easily transplanted anywhere.

Scourge of the Slave Lords Wiki

Scourge of the Slave Lords at Amazon

They were definitely good modules in the way they built up a good, thorough story. And they translate well into 3e/PF too. I've run them under 3.5 rules and some elements of the rules work particularly brilliantly - A4 works really well if the casters have some casting-stat damage (easily caused by drugs used to keep them subdued) to hamper their access to spells.

My single caveat is to watch how fast PCs advance. It was my experience that 3.5 PCs level up faster than 1e ones do which has implications for leveling out of a module's intended range too quickly.

Remove ads