• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good Clerics and "Wasted" Spell Slots

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Think about "the automobile" as a magic transportation spell.
All of this is absolutely true, but it's important to point out that the automobile profoundly changed the world.

And maybe that's the answer (or just an answer) ... enlightened reasoners will be aware how profoundly the world would change, given easy and common access to certain magic. (Just look at Eberron, and those changes, while significant, are still heavily downplayed for purposes of "remaining D&D.")

But how the world would change -- for better or worse -- would not be so easy to figure out. Even Good religions might reasonably have qualms about finding out by what amounts to social experimentation.

amysrevenge

First Post
And maybe that's the answer (or just an answer) ... enlightened reasoners will be aware how profoundly the world would change, given easy and common access to certain magic. (Just look at Eberron, and those changes, while significant, are still heavily downplayed for purposes of "remaining D&D.")

That's just what I was trying to say on the first page.

You can't take a society that is basically medieval/early Renaissance European, add to the mix relatively cheap and easy magic (both wizardly and clerical), and claim that the nature of the society would me more-or-less unchanged. "Realistically", everything would be turned upside-down in ways I couldn't even begin to predict. Economics, religion, organizations, politics, education, transportation... the list is endless.

The only thing we can reasonably do is ignore the whole problem and pretend that it makes sense. lol

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads