• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good feats for reach weapons

trentonjoe

Explorer
I want to make a 5th level human fighter that uses a reach weapon.

I have 6 feats to take. I think I'll take:

Weapon Focus
Weapon Specialization
Combat Reflexes
Expertise and
Improved Trip

Three questions.

1) Are these sound?

2) Am I missing something?

3) What esle should I take?

trentonjoe

Explorer
Hold the line allows a AOO against charging creatures right?

If you have a reach weapon you would get one anyway right?

What am I missing?

EOL

First Post
Combat reflexes is great for a reach weapon because it allows you to make AOO's when you're flat-footed. Which you often are when people close.... Other than that you might want to think about spring attack this would allow you to move 5 ft. back (which you'll be doing a lot) attack and then move the rest of your move, so that if they re-close you'll get an AOO.

Wippit Guud

First Post
trentonjoe said:
Hold the line allows a AOO against charging creatures right?

If you have a reach weapon you would get one anyway right?

What am I missing?

got confused with Large and in Charge.... oops

Wolf72

Explorer
NJ!!!!

Quickdraw!!

especially if you have a one-handed weapon to use ... that way you can whip it out (hmm bad visual ... anyway) and attack someone if they get to close, or use it to sunder someone else's reach weapon.

and you can still hold your reach weapon in your off hand ... if you need to you can drop the weapon you just drew and use your reach weapon two handed again (then draw another one handed weapon ...)

hong

WotC's bitch
Spring Attack, and combine with boots of striding and springing. Drive the greatsword-wielding guys batty.

Tylias

First Post
Spring Attack
Combat Reflexes

These would be the first two on my list for characters who rely on reach weapons. Imagine a combat between two fighters, one armed with a greatsword and the other with a longspear; this should make it obvious what advantage the Spring Attack provides. Work with it a bit; the longspear-wielding character will, in many situations, be able to attack twice as often as the greatsword wielder. In a one-on-one duel, a reach weapon can be a significant advantage.

Combat Reflexes is also useful for a reach-weapon characters in ways that would *never* occur for fighters using normal melee weapons.

Spring Attack is expensive, of course; you need Dodge and Mobility in order to qualify for it.

Everything else is gravy, and customize to your heart's content.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads