• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good low-mid level monsters?

Lothdyn

First Post
Hi All,

I'm trying to track down some PDF's with good low to mid-level monsters. I intend to start up an Irone Heroes campaign in the near future, and want some interesting and different low level creatures to flesh out a series of dungeon hacks.

Let me know if you've got any ideas... or if there's another thread where this has already been covered.

afreed

First Post
I hate to plug my own material so early in a thread, but darn it, it applies....

Digital Denizens: Challenge Rating 1 and Digital Denizens: Challenge Rating 2 are both available for $3 each at rpgnow.com, reprinting the monsters from Denizens of Avadnu in PDF format. You might find 'em useful. Check here for a preview of Denizens, if you haven't seen it yet.

Voadam

Legend
The EN Critters line has themed pdf monster books that are generally lower CRs.

I own On the Banks of the River Vaal and it is interesting and varied within its river theme. Full color art that varies in quality, but I like the critters from my first glance and it has counters for each of them as well as design notes for behind the scenes on the mechanics and flavor decisions.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=266&products_id=2569&affiliate_id=17596

Go to the link and it has the creatures included along with their CRs, most under 10.

Lothdyn

First Post
Thanks for the feed back all. "Good" did indeed refer to quality of the creature. I've only got the MM as a source at the moment, and was hoping to break beyond it. Particularly since one of my players (as our major DM) has a close to encyclopedic knowledge of it.

Thanks for all the feedback, and I'll look into some of those options in more detail.

Voadam

Legend
Another excellent one is the penumbra fantasy bestiary. It is 3.0 and huge (over 300 pages) and available from the publisher Atlas-Games at www.rpgnow.com. The CR's are generally low to mid levels and each of the many, many creatures is very fleshed out with descriptions and sample plot hooks. It also has a label system marking each creature by their encounter style, such as magical creatures, stealthy creatures, combat brutes, tricksters, etc. Most expensive pdf I've bought, but I love it. Disclosure, I authored about eight creatures in it so I have a bias. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads