Good Multiclass Options for Arcana Cleric?

Arcana Cleric looks like it gets everything it wants from going to level 17. I'm wondering what are some good multiclass options for the remaining 3 levels?

zaratan

First Post
start as fighter 1 for heavy armor and martial weapon, con saves, fighting style, second wind. fighter 2 for action surge. 3 for superiority dices.

druid 1 for shillelagh, goodberry, entangle...

sorcerer 3 for metamagic.

wizard 2, choose the best school as abjuration or divination

warlock 1 for hex and armor of agathys temp HP with kill or telephaty, or 2 for devil sight or even 3 for 2 2nd lvl spells slots per short rest and a invisible familiar.

bard 3 for songs of rest, jack of all trades, expertise and cutting words.

rogue 2 for expertise and cunning action, or 3 for assassinate.

monk for movement and open hand technique with flurry blow
pali 2 for smith, fighting style

bid

First Post
Arcana Cleric looks like it gets everything it wants from going to level 17. I'm wondering what are some good multiclass options for the remaining 3 levels?
Unless you got lucky with your stat rolls, you need a Wis caster or Dex class.

- Druid is out because of metal armor. Nature and arcane don't mix well anyway.
- Fighter for action surge and defense style. Potent spellcasting doesn't work for martial. Maybe EK for utilities.
- Monk is out because of shield. You'd need Dex20 for unarmored defense to match a magic half-plate with shield.
- Ranger offers an extra skill and defense style. Beast has a weird flavor but too weak.
- Rogue offers an extra skill and cunning action for your bonus action. AT for utilities again. Mastermind might fit too.

If you need some low utility spells, EK/AT are interesting. I think CA + skill vs surge + AC is pretty much equivalent and the choice depends on RP concept. You can have your cake and eat it too with fighter 1 / rogue 2.

You can also pick ranger 1 / rogue 2 for 2 extra skills. Or swap them for AC instead of CA.

Coyote81

First Post
-ninja'd- *The following still applies

He didn't mention the natural and easy multiclass into Ranger for hunter spec Hordebreaker (Extra attack even when using melee cantrips) also is wisdom based (gain some spell slots), gains a fighting style and medium armor/shield with access to all marital weapons.

If your goal is to get the bonus 6th-9th level domain spells, then you're going to have to take 18 levels as an Arcana Cleric. This leaves only 2 levels for multiclassing.

Doesn't that come at level 17?

You're right. Had a brain fart. 3 levels of multiclass potential it is.

My personal recommendation for an Arcana gish is Fighter 1/Arcana Cleric 1/Rogue 2/Cleric 17. Low level strategy is: walk up, smack with Booming Blade with your rapier, disengage and walk away. If playing a VHuman, then take Mobile to start and swap the Rogue levels for going up to Battle Master 3.

Remove ads