• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good/New Fantasy RPG's

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'd likely recommend Savage Worlds... or if you're into some light to moderate conversion, Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG. Both encourage story-telling over min-maxing characters (though it is possible in any game to do so, given time and effort). The latter has a fairly elegant skill-resolution system

nedjer

Adventurer
I've two offerings that might appeal. Optionally visual RPG Treasure is Creative Commons, free, 2d6 rules medium to light, PDF or html - and a bit brutal. It's at the third of four stages. There are more artwork examples to go in, but the system and presentation have been good to go for a while.

Alternatively, might have something for you on the Original Game front shortly. Needed a clone to develop an Alternate Reality Game, so I've made Tainted.

As a content monster I couldn't put out something without lots of original content - to kind of do my share of the work - and Old School compatibility meant putting the new content into building play, monsters, items, evil . . . It's in final edit and out before the end of November - sketchy details are on the blog.

Wightbred

Explorer
I'd recommend Dungeon World, which is an attempt to get back to the fun of early D&d but without a d20. I'd say it meets all your criteria except perhaps in magic system detail. There's a free version you can download as well as a cheap Red Book. Start here: Dungeon World :: Home

karlindel

First Post
You might want to check out the Arcanis RPG. You can get a free quickstart of the game at the paradigm concepts web site. Arcanis started as a d20 campaign setting, but they have changed it over to a new system that is not d20 based and looks interesting. You can also get the Codex Arcanis, which was the original campaign setting book, for free online. There is also a living campaign which would be a useful source for adventure material.

Afon y Bydysawd

First Post
The latest revision (Mark III) of the Epic RPG might be what you're looking for. The magic is mechanically consistent and simple to use, but absolutely full of flavour and variety. An important aspect of the game is that where you come from plays a large part in who you become and what options are available to you. So if you like a game where geography, culture, social class, and upbringing are important, Epic might be worth checking out. Mark III fixes a few odd mechanics present in earlier iterations which significantly improve aspects of play.

Remove ads