• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good prestige Classes for Druids?

DeathOfRats

First Post
To be fair, I think if I were to play a druid I would be looking at getting rid of the animal companion for something more self orientated. Thats about the only thing.....and even then, I know how powerful animal companions can be so it would have to be something good!

Kat'

First Post
Master of Many Forms offers more schapechanging options at the cost of spellcasting... it's another style of playing.

In any case, while Druid gets along very well on its own without any PrC, I'd always suggest a 1-level dip into Warshaper to grab the immunity to critical hits and sneak attacks while Wildshaping.

Vysirez

First Post
I have to agree with nittanytbone, the only PRC i'm aware of that is better then basic druid is Planar Shepard. It's powerful if you don't abuse it's abilities, it's retardedly broken if you do abuse them.

Otherwise, for pure power and flexiblity you want druid 20. If you want to focus on one specific aspect of a druid, and are willing to give up some power, then there are a few OK PRCs.

If you want to focus on wildshape and are willing to give up caster levels and animal companion, Natures Warrior and Warshaper are ok.

Or you can drop wildshape and/or AC and get any interesting divine casting PRC that doesnt require turning.

But ultimately, I think that any PRC you go for as a druid gives up more then you get. So not worth it IMO, but depends on the player and character really.

See the problem is that base druid is so good, that unless the PRC gives up a fair amount, it can't get much in the way of benefits without becoming overpowered. Since you said you wanted to avoid overpowered PRCs, you either have to give up some stuff, which is usually some combination of caster levels, wildshape and animal companion, or just stay basic druid.

Darklone

Vague Jayhawk said:
I have a druid in my current game that took a level or two of scout and became a pretty good daggerspell shaper. She is having a lot of fun with that class. You will miss out on a couple of spell levels for the level of scout and the 1st level of the prestige class. The wild shape abilities are pretty cool however and spell advancement is only slightly hindered.
Get Swift Avenger (from Dragon), it's similar to Swift Hunter... e.g. levels added together count for skirmish damage.

nittanytbone

First Post
There are some druid variants out there that might fit what you're looking for.

Shapeshifter from PHB2 - Lose companion & wildshape, gain weaker but unlimited uses/day shapeshifting

Swift Hunter from UA - Lose wildshape, gain ranger/monk abilities.

Druidic Avenger - Lose companion, gain Rage like barbarian

Elemmakil

First Post
I've heard that the Moonwalker (RoE, I think) is very good, although you must be a shifter. You lose four levels of wildshaping (but maintain full spellcasting and, I think, animal companion progression), but get a lot of useful abilities while shifting, along with several spells: invisibility, planar ally (all versions), gate, and probably some more that I'm forgetting.

It may not be as good as a straight druid, but it's still very viable, and is definitely a better summoner.

You can find an old, but only somewhat outdated, optimized druid guide here. I believe that the wildshape nerf errata was never fully incorporated into this. I'm also not sure how up-to-date the list of monsters is, either.

eamon

Explorer
Shapeshift does have one advantage over wildshape, namely that it's a swift action. Further, the power of shapeshift isn't really very low - if you have a high Str anyhow. It's seriously underpowered (relative to wild shape) if a DM allows Wilding clasps and Wild Armor only for wild shape (and not shapeshift), though.

The biggest disadvantage you'll have is that natural spell doesn't work (which isn't as bad as it looks due to the swift action shifting time), and you lose flexibility (no aquatic form, for instance). In any case, I've banned wild shape, (allowing a shapeshift-derived wild-shape for those who want to use an animal companion), and people still pick druids happily and certainly aren't underpowered relative to the other players.

Remove ads