D&D General Good side quest ideas

der_kluge

Adventurer
I'm searching for good side quest ideas. If I google this topic, I can find a myriad of side quest ideas, but most of them explore the same old boring tropes, and are really quite simplistic and overdone.

I'm looking for actual good ideas for side quests. For example, IMC, the party has the opportunity to find 4 severed unicorn horns. Each horn leads to a white stallion that I've strategically placed all across the land whose locations tie into areas of importance. I also include the means for which each horn will "point" to their respective owners. Attaching the horn to the horse makes it a unicorn once again. It's a long quest that involves a lot of work, and is ultimately not central to the plot.

Another side quest I have involves a book that has cursed the town mayor/sage. To solve this, the PCs need to be able to cast multiple remove curse spells on him, and they learn that the book was written as a way to "encourage" a wizard reading it to cast a couple of spells which open up a portal which leads to a pocket in the astral plane. These spells involve rope trick, and another specific spell which is cast inside the rope trick. Doing this, they discover that the imprisoned subject is a brass dragon who has been imprisoned by an Efreeti (In prior editions, Brass dragons could summon Efreeti; hence the connection). Upon trying to return, however, the Efreeti stops them and fights them. Upon defeating the Efreeti, he grants them 3 wishes. The brass dragon is aware that this might be a possible outcome, and implores the party to use one of the wishes to free him (a possible NPC that can come the party's aid much later in the campaign). Then the PCs have two remaining wishes they can use however they desire.

Anything along those lines would be awesome.

aco175

Legend
I like side quests that deal with a PC and some part of his story. Some players are good with giving stuff to work with, while others are not likely to take part by having their own quest. For example, one PC has part of his background that he owed money to someone to buy his freedom. Around level 9 the party has money and were in Waterdeep, so I created a contact that he could meet. There was some downtime and each PC had some roleplay while about the city and the fighter met with his contact, but I created a side quest to get half of it back. There was a quest that the NPC has that needs completing. It was just a one-night dungeon crawl to find a missing person, but was a change from the main adventure and the group was fine with it.

Remove ads