• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good two-handed exotic weapons

Genesist

First Post
Hello everyone, I am making an NPC for a campaign I am running. He is a thri-kreen, and I have plan on having him dual-wield two two-handed swords. I'd like to use two exotic weapons for this, any suggestions? The only non PH1 that comes to mind is lynx paw and elven courtblade, neither of which are optimal.

Fallenibilis

First Post
Jovar (Planer Handbook) which is basically a Great Sword with a higher crit rate.

If you running 3.0 theres the Merrcurial Great Sword (Arms & Equipment Guide) which has X4 crit, same book has the Full Blade 2d8.

Heavy Falcion (Sandstorm) Is like a Falcion except it does 1d12 instead of 2d4.

Hope i was able to help.

Fallenibilis

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My personal favorite is the Greatspear- 2d6, reach, and throwable.

Running a close second is the Maul, which is mechanically a blunt counterpart to the Bastard Sword.

Off the board for a thousand Alex...

Create a weapon modeled after the Klingon Bat'leth. Two-handed, dexterity driven weapon with a very insectoid appearance. I can even see a new fighting style where the weapons cross using all four appendages and two weapons (2-handed two weapon fighting). Use the double sword as a stat model and roll with it.

Genesist

First Post
I was originally thinking of him being strength based, but dex based is a possibility, here's the reason:

He's part of a group of 5, leaders of a third party in the game, a sort of small country of mercenaries, that plays off of the conflict between two others. With these guys I didn't neccesarily go for optimized, i went for flavor, and am open to improvisation.

One is a warmage 8/argent savant 2/missile mage 5, with the mage armor feat (forget name) this allows him to wear heavy armor with no spell failure, he's a dromite, so you end up with a fully armor midget walking up and shooting giant barrages out of his hands, pew pew.

Then we've got our warlock 8/fighter 2/green star adept 5, gnome. He uses eldritch glaive, so we've got constructish gnome who makes glaive of dark magic.

Next is a ginger, er fire elf. He's a ranger 2 (elven variant w/two weapon fighting focus), monk (variant) 2/figher 2/ swashbuckler 3/champion of correlon 2/dervish 4 (may increase dervish). He has improved racial familiarity, giving him finessable elven baldes, and adds int, dex, and str to damage, as well as wis and dex to AC. Idea being finesse fighter, which is why I am uneasy with giving buggy some finesse.

5th guy I am still fleshing out.

So any suggestions? Also may go with custom made insect swords, that deal 2d8, based off of a 3.0 sword whose name escapes me. Exotic obviously

Veven1290

First Post
Two lucerne hammers would be hilariously awesome. 2d4 X4 crit, reach. Bludgeoning and Piercing damage. I dunno way but i loooove bludgeoning damage.

Genesist

First Post
Crit isn't a real factor... as half the game world is undead (as a result of the main plot element) and the undead cannot be critical hitted normally. Pure damage is the best here.

Veven1290

First Post
Ahhh, well you could take one level in the master of masks PRC for the gladiator mask (proficiency with all exotic weapons) and use a jovar and a lucerne hammer. This way you have the options of bludgeoning (for skeletons) slashing (for zombies) and piercing (for who knows what).

Genesist

First Post
What else does mast of the masks give? I've heard of it but never looked into it. Also any suggestions for my group of mercenary leaders?

Veven1290

First Post
poor BAB (not a big deal for a 1 level dip) good reflex and will saves and the persona masks ability. At level 1 you have two masks, they are pretty much items that just give you cool abilities. In addition to the exotic weapon proficiency, the gladiator mask gives you a +1 bonus to attack and damage roles. I am at school right now so i don't have my books but one other mask i remember off the top of my head is the angel, which lets you use feather fall at will and fly 1/day (with a 5 round duration).

Remove ads