D&D 4E Goodman Games and 4E

goodmangames

First Post
[Cross-posted from http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3153 ]

By now you've probably all seen the announcement on EN World: the 4th edition open game license is officially announced! Goodman Games is excited to be on board, and we will be part of 4E from the launch.

It will all start with Free RPG Day, the event that Goodman Games created and which Wizards of the Coast is heavily sponsoring this year. Look for another free DCC -- this time 4th edition -- on June 21 from participating stores.

After that it's going to be a very big Gen Con, for a number of reasons. First, it will be the fifth anniversary of our DCC Open Tournament, and we're making it special. The module is already being crafted and it's a real challenge. The bar for competition will rise as we add more tables and more players than ever before. And of course there will be the fun fact that most people will only have a few months of experience with the game, which will level the playing field.

The second big aspect of Gen Con will be our releases. Of course Dungeon Crawl Classics will be well represented in the first wave of 4E releases. We are having some fun with the concept, and the presentation of the DCC series will change a little. I like to joke that we're upgrading from a 1E look to a 2E look. The same basic concepts will be there, and the adventures will be designed by the same talented writers, but you will be immediately able to distinguish a 4E DCC from a 3E DCC. And I think you'll like the new look.

Aside from the DCC series, we'll have some other fun products, too, but those details will be forthcoming in the future. Many of you know that I often prefer to post about a product only when I have something to show off, so we'll be announcing more details as we get the great cover designs polished up.

For those of you worried about your favorite lines, fear not. Here's a quick run down on what's in the works, some in the near future, some further out...

Xcrawl: Brendan is hard at work on an Xcrawl boxed set. Yes, you heard it right. This new envisioning of the Xcrawl world will include some "non-book elements" and will realize the game's true potential as an action-packed RPG. Look for this late in the year.

Wicked Fantasy Factory: The WFF series has garnered a lot of fans and will move into 4E. More to come on that.

Other products: I'm usually not a big fan of licenses, but there's a great comic book I've been reading lately that would be a perfect fit into our line. This may or may not come about, depending on how the negotiations go, but it will be awesome if it comes together. Enough said on that. Those of you who read the catalogue poster in Castle Whiterock carefully may have noticed the blurb on Spellburn. Look for this game of "western fantasy" to be part of our 4E lineup. And of course the opportunity for a new edition always presents the opportunity for a lot of new products in general, which will be revealed in the time to come.

I hope that answers some of the questions that have been floating around for some time. If you guys have anything that I missed, ask away!

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Brown Jenkin said:
How are you able to do this when the new STL prevents 3rd parties from releasing 4E products before August 1, 2008?

We are allowing the publishers that take advantage of the designer kit to distribute promotional (not for sale) products prior to Aug 1 (as in the case for free RPG Day).

Agamon

Adventurer
goodmangames said:
I like to joke that we're upgrading from a 1E look to a 2E look.

Gah! Don't even joke about that!

*imagines 4E adventures with boring railroady plots and uber NPCs that save the day*

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

:D Just kidding. I'm picking up what you're putting down.

thundershot

Adventurer
It didn't even dawn on me that no one seems to read replies to the news posts.. so I'll just repost here:

I always said that between Goodman and Paizo, I'll be set for adventures. And here's GG's announcement.

Just two suggestions (and I may be in the minority). One, please start the numbering over for the DDC. It's less daunting that way. Second, please don't put them out monthly. I want to get them all, but monthly make it impossible. I had to stop getting the DDCs for 3E because I couldn't keep up with them.

Oh, and is it possible to make them more like "Adventure paths" this time?

Chris

Jeff LaSala

First Post
I'm really happy about this!

One, please start the numbering over for the DDC. It's less daunting that way.
I think then you'd run the risk of confusing them, wouldn't you?

Last edited:

bento

Explorer
So once Goodman begins publishing 4E adventures, will their board be a hive of activy of posters clamoring for 3.5 conversions? ;)

It seems to work well for C&C and 1Ed fans...

Remove ads