• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goodman is clearly going to the GSL.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
That 3 year statute of limitations would apply to damages of a particular violation not to the copyright itself. The copyright itself is valid for life of the author+75 years or 95 years for corporate owned copyrights.

This is a minor nitpick, but unless it's changed in the last few months, it's the life of the author plus seventy years, or 95 years for corporate works - that only universally applies to works published in the US after 2002, of course.

For a complete breakdown of what works enter the public domain when, see the following handy guide: http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/public_domain/

Corjay

First Post
This is a minor nitpick, but unless it's changed in the last few months, it's the life of the author plus seventy years, or 95 years for corporate works - that only universally applies to works published in the US after 2002, of course.

For a complete breakdown of what works enter the public domain when, see the following handy guide: http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/public_domain/
International copyright is 50 years. Anyone outside the US is only subject to International Copyright laws for US products.

timbuktu

First Post
The only thing about this I dont like is that the proposed artwork for the 4e DCC's seem to totally abandon the old school Erol Otus style artwork.

That said I love Goodman and the DCC's. So they should be a great addition to the 4e line. I have a near complete collection of the 3x DCC's which I will now have to complete. Not all of them are perfect but I like the style and vibe of the adventures. It will be interesting to see if this style will translate to 4e.

Filcher

First Post
I'm willing to bet they release special prints with Otus covers. Probably at Gen Con and the like. I met Otus at a Goodman Games signing last year, and it seems like the relationship was too great to pass up.

Corjay

First Post
Otus was essentially a 70's/80's video game artist. The only reason people want his art resurrected is because of naustalgia, not quality. Yes, I have fond memories of playing D&D and modules with his art splashed on the covers. I especially liked his Deities & Demigods cover. But come on, let's progress man. The modern crowd would not have as much investment as us older players. I would not use his art if I were trying to improve or at the very least maintain sales. There's a reason he got dumped like a lead brick when Easley, Elmore, and Caldwell all stepped up their talent and he didn't.

Now, if he wants to do new art that outshines his old, I'd be glad to see it on covers. But I say leave past works in the past.

timbuktu

First Post
Otus was essentially a 70's/80's video game artist. The only reason people want his art resurrected is because of naustalgia, not quality. Yes, I have fond memories of playing D&D and modules with his art splashed on the covers. I especially liked his Deities & Demigods cover. But come on, let's progress man. The modern crowd would not have as much investment as us older players. I would not use his art if I were trying to improve or at the very least maintain sales. There's a reason he got dumped like a lead brick when Easley, Elmore, and Caldwell all stepped up their talent and he didn't.

Now, if he wants to do new art that outshines his old, I'd be glad to see it on covers. But I say leave past works in the past.

I understand what you are saying. And I do not want to hijack the thread over a discussion of artwork. My point was that the spirit of the 3x DCCs was that of the 70s/80s style dungeon crawls. So the artwork reflected that. I just wondering what kind of style the 4e DCC will have both in adventure types and art.

As for Mr. Otus's talent level, I think he is best at simple line drawings; they are evocative and quite imagination grabbing. Simply because much of his work is "older" ( say versus computer assissted iluustations) doesnt mean it hasnt "progressed"-it simply means it is of a different style. And whether one style is better over another is simply a matter of aesthetics.

Corjay

First Post
I had skipped the primary part of this discussion because I hadn't yet digested the GSL, but now that I've given it a careful look, the provision for Goodman Games publishing early is found at 6.1 in the GSL. So, as long as there is no "backward conversion", they can convert a current line to the new GSL regardless of release date, as the previous GSL is considered to hold sway. The only provision for this is that they have to discontinue manufacturing and publication of all products in the previous line, which Goodman Games is doing.

Question answered.

CountPopeula

First Post
I had skipped the primary part of this discussion because I hadn't yet digested the GSL, but now that I've given it a careful look, the provision for Goodman Games publishing early is found at 6.1 in the GSL. So, as long as there is no "backward conversion", they can convert a current line to the new GSL regardless of release date, as the previous GSL is considered to hold sway. The only provision for this is that they have to discontinue manufacturing and publication of all products in the previous line, which Goodman Games is doing.

Question answered.

hunh?

Angellis_ater

First Post
Anyways, Joe G. saying he will forever cease selling 3E PDF's is pretty solid proof that he will be going the GSL. The D20 STL certainly wouldn't stop him. He would delete the logo's from his PDF's and keep on selling them. So the only thing that makes any sense is he will be going to the GSL. There are plenty of unknowns that could change all of that and prove it wrong, but with what is known the GSL fits the facts best.

I would love to be wrong.

Actually, they announced they are stopping the release of 3.5 PDFs. Which to me would indicate that these are going to be changed over to the Pathfinder license and re-released as "Pathfinder Adventures" or something like that. :)

Remove ads