• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GOP candidates VS entropy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was very saddened to see the anti-immigrant sentiment hit here in Boston recently. My wife is an immigrant (she has a green card). A lot of Anericans are really ignorant on this subject. Case in point someone speaking English with a heavy accent speaks the language, yet you see people respond to accents and few minor grammar errors with 'speak the language'

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I spent 3 years as an Army Brat in Germany- never once did a native say anything like that to me or my family.

My Dad- an amateur historian among other things- reminds me constantly about how xenophobic and nativist Americans have been over our country's brief history.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I was very saddened to see the anti-immigrant sentiment hit here in Boston recently.

It is sadly ironic, really. The Italian and Irish communities right here in Boston saw the same sentiments back in their time. You'd think they'd have learned.

MechaPilot

Explorer
It is sadly ironic, really. The Italian and Irish communities right here in Boston saw the same sentiments back in their time. You'd think they'd have learned.

I once heard a comedian describe it as the sociological equivalent of being "jumped in" to a gang, or the brutal hazing of a frat.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I once heard a comedian describe it as the sociological equivalent of being "jumped in" to a gang, or the brutal hazing of a frat.

Except hazing is deliberate - you do it to the next person with the *intent* of creating a bonding experience. The frat *wants* you, and treats you badly.

We do it to new waves of immigrants because we are scared and want someone to hate.

Janx

Hero
True. But I doubt their efforts are going to be any more successful than any previous attempts at using walls to sove border issues.

How did that wall East Germany had do?

I recall that being a pretty nasty beast with guards and people being shot at as they tried to cross. The very symbol of what it means to truly keep people/in out across an entire county's border should be associated with the evil of East Germany's wall.

Janx

Hero
I was very saddened to see the anti-immigrant sentiment hit here in Boston recently. My wife is an immigrant (she has a green card). A lot of Anericans are really ignorant on this subject. Case in point someone speaking English with a heavy accent speaks the language, yet you see people respond to accents and few minor grammar errors with 'speak the language'

No offense to the good people of Boston, but by the stories I hear, Bostonians are dicks.

One of my better bosses got moved back out there when her husband took a VP job and transferred to the facility out there. During the 5 or so years she lived there, her neighbors still called her place by it's old neighbors name. Nobody on campus was friendly or would say hello. This went on for years. Folks out there are cold and slow to warm up to people. That's probably not all people, but as a general trend, yeah, I can see them being anti-immigrant as just an extension of that non-friendly to new folk attitude.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
No offense to the good people of Boston, but by the stories I hear, Bostonians are dicks.

With respect... everyone everywhere are dicks. There are some local variations on the theme - Bostonian dickishness may a bit different from San Franciscan dickishness, and that's different from the several flavors you'll find in Texas. You may have become inured to your own local threat-each-other-poorly styles, so you don't notice them as much, but they are there.

And, to be clear, it isn't like the US is alone in this. Italy's fully of jerks. So is England. In many areas of the world, factions of horrible people are shooting at each other, and have been for decades.

Heck, they say Canadians are all polite and nice... but I met a horrible Canadian. Maybe like a scapegoat (or the horrible ST:TNG episode in which Tasha Yar dies) Canada sloughed off all it's ugly on this guy, and shipped him out. I met him in Italy, where, in a room with four people, two of them women, one of those being the teacher of a class he elected to take, he made misogynistic jokes and comments *all day*. Crashing boor, all the way.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
How did that wall East Germany had do?

I recall that being a pretty nasty beast with guards and people being shot at as they tried to cross. The very symbol of what it means to truly keep people/in out across an entire county's border should be associated with the evil of East Germany's wall.

Was the wall along the entire border between the two parts of Germany, or just around West Berlin?

I agree with your point, but wanting to clarify a detail.

Thx!

TomB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads