Got into MMO's from Tabletop Gaming?

Do you play MMORPG's?

Krug

Newshound
I got into WOW after not being able to find time to D&D. But I've found the RPing in WOW quite lacking, even on RP servers.

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, I wasn't quite sure how to vote, since I no longer play MMO's.

I played 'Dark Age of Camelot' for about two years because a player in my Earthdawn group had been so excited about it and invited me to give it a try. Even though I was quite appalled at the beginning (horrible user interface, sucky graphics, etc.) at the end of the free period I was hooked.
I never liked the grinding aspect of the game though and wasn't particularly good in PVP, so I stopped playing eventually.

Looking back, I have no desire to repeat the experience. It's a huge timesink and there are definitely better ways to kill time, like playing pen & paper rpgs for which it is a _very_ poor substitute.
I've been wondering if I should give the DDI Virtual Tabletop a try. This _might_ be a better substitute for the times when I cannot play face to face.

Anyway, yes, the reason I gave MMO's a try was because of tabletop gaming.

ThirdWizard

First Post
I got into MMO's because I played video games. And at the time it was just another video game only with more people.

This. I've been playing video games since the NES came out. Eventually I started playing D&D, but video games and P&P gaming have been separate entities as far as neither one got me into the other. I played EQ when I was in college as a result of me being a video gamer, not a P&P gamer.

SWBaxter

First Post
My first MMORPG was Ultima Online, which I started playing some time in 2000. My first tabletop RPG was AD&D in 1979, I dunno offhand if I would've given UO a try had I not been a gamer - I know that a lot of my initial interest in the MMORPG concept was due to images I had of a 24/7 D&D campaign. Of course, it didn't turn out to be anything like that, but I found I enjoyed that type of game on its own merits. I've had a couple of breaks in MMORPGing since then - longest was about a year - but most of the time I've got some game or other on the go.

Since UO, I've played Asheron's Call (only for about four months), Dark Age of Camelot (a couple of years), Horizons (about a weekend), City of Heroes (on and off since launch), Lord of the Rings Online (ditto), and Guild Wars (a weekend every now and then). I've recruited a few people I know from MMORPGs into virtual tabletop D&D sessions, and two or three of them liked it enough to buy the books and find a local game.

Wombat

First Post
I briefly tried MMOs with Ultima Online, during a period when I didn't have a gaming group, and dropped it after my 30 days. After talking to several other people who play such games, and watching them in action, I find them not at all to my tastes.

Festivus

First Post
I got re-interested in Tabletop gaming thanks to Everquest. I played AD&D in Jr High, skipped 2E and 3E, came back to tabletop about 3 years ago... and have not played an MMORPG in about 3 years.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
Me playing, or at least trying MMOs stems from the constant pestering of my good friend. Who payed for my subscription to CoH for an entire year. However, now I've been playing it off and on for 2 and a bit years and the game in general is getting a little stale.

If I were to blame why I like playing the games on anything, It would be how much I loved NES and SNES RPGs as a kid. Classics like Final fantacy 3 (6?) or Lufia, or Secret of Mana, or Chrono Trigger. The kind of games I'd spend my next-to-nothing allowance on every single weekend. I want those kind of games back too :.-(

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Well, I played EQ for six months way back when it first came out, and I played D&D for years before that, but I picked "No, I don't play MMOs" They're pretty dull for a video game.
Early EQ1 is the model that WoW ran far away from. Modern MMOs might be your cup of tea, actually.

Remove ads