• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grapple Question

phillipjp

First Post
If you get multiple attacks per round, can you make multiple grapple attempts? If you are IN a grapple, can you make multiple grapple checks according to your BAB?

Emongnome

First Post
PHB, pg 137: "If you get multiple attacks in a round, you can attempt to start a grapple multiple times (at successively lower base attack bonuses)."
As for multiple actions in a grapple, I don't see anything to contradict doing so.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
phillipjp said:
If you get multiple attacks per round, can you make multiple grapple attempts? If you are IN a grapple, can you make multiple grapple checks according to your BAB?

Yes to the first question- the bottom of page 137 in the PHB, left column, Start a Grapple: "If you get multiple attacks in a round, you can attempt to start a grapple multiple times (at successively lower base attack bonuses)."

Yes to the second one as well. Same page, second column, under "If You're Pinned": "You can make an opposed grapple check as a melee attack." So, you should be able to make multiple grapple checks.

Also, just above that part, same page, under "If You're Grappling", under Pin, "(If you get multiple attacks, you can use subsequent attacks to damage your opponent.)"

Last edited:

Brekki

First Post
You can make a grapple check for each attack you get for your BAB. So monsters with 10 attacks (10 arms), can still initiate only 2 or 3 grapple checks if their BAB is low.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Another question

Here's another question. The rules for armor spikes say that "They deal 1d6 points of piercing damage (X2 crit) with a successful grapple attack"

So, is that *any* grapple attack?

"Step 1: Grab:
The combatant makes a melee touch attack to grab the target. If the combatant fails to hit the target, the combatant fails to start the grapple."

1d6 dam from spikes or no? This is the initial attack to start a grapple, but I'm guessing the answer is "no"--this is just a grab, and the spikes aren't anywhere near the other person.

"Step 2: Hold:
Make an opposed grapple check. If the combatant succeeds, the combatant has started the grapple, and the combatant deals damage to the target as if with an unarmed strike."

So, at this point would a person wearing spiked armor do 1d6 spike dam, or 1d6 spike dam + unarmed strike dam, or just unarmed strike dam? I'm guessing just unarmed strike damage for the same reason above--the spikes are not near the other person. We haven't reached Step 3: Move In.

"Step 4: Grappling:
When a combatant is grappling (regardless of who started the grapple), the combatant can make an opposed grapple check as an attack. If the combatant wins, the combatant can do the following: inflict damage, pin, break another grapple, escape"

Would a person wearing spiked armor do 1d6 dam with a successful grapple attack, regardless of which of the 4 grapple attacks he performed? I'm guessing yes--this is what is intended with the Armor Spike rule description. You're wrestling, and you're covered with spikes--you're going to do damage.

So, a raging half-orc Barbarian (Str modifier of +7) would do 1d3+7 Subdual damage plus 1d6+7 piercing damage when he performed the Inflict Damage grapple attack. Not bad!

Or am I reading this wrong?

-z

Christian

Explorer
Re: Re: Grapple Question

Grazzt said:
Yes to the second one as well. Same page, second column, under "If You're Pinned": "You can make an opposed grapple check as a melee attack." So, you should be able to make multiple grapple checks.

Here's a related question that came up in one of our games a while back: Can a grappled/grappling monk use his improved unarmed attack rate and/or flurry of blows when making grapple checks?

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Re: Re: Re: Grapple Question

Christian said:

Can a grappled/grappling monk use his improved unarmed attack rate and/or flurry of blows when making grapple checks?

Yes. Page 137 again; first column, under Starting a Grapple: "A monk can use his unarmed attack rate of attacks per round while grappling."

Brekki

First Post
Here's another question. The rules for armor spikes say that "They deal 1d6 points of piercing damage (X2 crit) with a successful grapple attack"

So, is that *any* grapple attack?

This is just the case when you make a grapple check intended to do damage (as with an unarmed strike)

"Step 1: Grab:
The combatant makes a melee touch attack to grab the target. If the combatant fails to hit the target, the combatant fails to start the grapple."

1d6 dam from spikes or no? This is the initial attack to start a grapple, but I'm guessing the answer is "no"--this is just a grab, and the spikes aren't anywhere near the other person.

No spike damage indeed.

"Step 2: Hold:
Make an opposed grapple check. If the combatant succeeds, the combatant has started the grapple, and the combatant deals damage to the target as if with an unarmed strike."

So, at this point would a person wearing spiked armor do 1d6 spike dam, or 1d6 spike dam + unarmed strike dam, or just unarmed strike dam? I'm guessing just unarmed strike damage for the same reason above--the spikes are not near the other person. We haven't reached Step 3: Move In.

No spikes damage indeed.

"Step 4: Grappling:
When a combatant is grappling (regardless of who started the grapple), the combatant can make an opposed grapple check as an attack. If the combatant wins, the combatant can do the following: inflict damage, pin, break another grapple, escape"

Would a person wearing spiked armor do 1d6 dam with a successful grapple attack, regardless of which of the 4 grapple attacks he performed? I'm guessing yes--this is what is intended with the Armor Spike rule description. You're wrestling, and you're covered with spikes--you're going to do damage.

I think only a grapple check by which you mean to do damage with your spikes counts. So no other effects.

So, a raging half-orc Barbarian (Str modifier of +7) would do 1d3+7 Subdual damage plus 1d6+7 piercing damage when he performed the Inflict Damage grapple attack. Not bad!

Or am I reading this wrong?

I think this raging barbarian would do d6+7 damage.

Remove ads