• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grappling & Reflex saving throws

Wolfix

First Post
This seems like just the sort of topic that would have come up before, but here goes: using 3.5 RAW, does participating in a grapple influence a character's ability to make reflex saving throws? How about if you're pinned?

Here's the situation I'm thinking about that might occur with my druid: Summoned Dire Bat grapples a sorcerer, and druid wants to cast Call Lightning centered on the grappled sorcerer, damaging the Dire Bat as well probably.

Gantros

Explorer
Can't find anything in the rules that indicates you would take a penalty to Reflex saves, even though it clearly makes sense that you should. Pretty much anything that eliminates your Dex bonus to AC should have the same effect on Reflex saves.

Aftersox

First Post
Whenever I run a game I deny the DEX bonus to reflex save if they are simply grappling. If they are pinned I lower their evasion level (if any) by one since I consider that person pretty much helpless for the pinned round. (ie. improved evasion -> evasion)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
"As with a Reflex save for any creature, a character must have room to move in order to evade. A bound character or one squeezing through an area cannot use evasion."

I'd probably give no penalty if you're grappling, but deny Reflex saves entirely if you're pinned, since it's the equivalent of being bound - you don't have 'room to move'.

-Hyp.

Remove ads