• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grease - Uses of and effectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Caliban said:
*shrug* What's your point? Some spells are more effective against some creatures than others.
One more time.

Against the tarrasque -- a CR 20 creature -- grease as you so enjoy to play it has the following effects: (1) it costs the creature 3 points of Armor Class, (2) it costs the creature the ability to make sneak attacks, (3) it makes the creature automatically sneak attackable, (4) when the creature is damaged, it has a 30 percent chance of going prone, causing it to provoke attacks of opportunity when it rises (and triggering the 30 percent check again, if it takes damage) and (5) limiting it to only one attack in that round.

How do you not get this? First-level spell. CR 20 creature. Even if grease only has its effect for one round, that's simply too powerful.

Do you have an answer for that, or are you just going to continue to ignore it?

Unless you are greasing their weapon, hitting them with grease just makes them prone, and a -4 on their attack rolls isn't all that significant.
This is simply not true, and you don't seem to get it. Making them prone is the effect grease is supposed to have, and it's perfectly balanced. But if -- as you want to do -- you say that grease makes the creature considered to be "balancing," it has huge additional, unintended, effects. Now I realize you simply don't understand that. It explains a lot.

Ah, more personal attacks. Of course anyone who disagrees with you must be incompetant. How mature.
Yeah, 'cause "overblown hyperbole" wasn't intended as a personal attack.

At least I'm offering evidence for my claim that grease -- as the "balancing" crows wants it -- is too powerful. The only thing you're saying is, "I use it constantly, and I think it's great!" Big surprise. If you've played grease as you claim here, for 10 levels of sorceror, and you haven't managed to exploit its massive brokenness (or at least understand how you could), you're clearly incompetent.

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Jeff Wilder said:
One more time.

Dude, I really don't care anymore. You had your chance to debate like a reasonable adult and you blew it. Several people participating in the thread warned you. The moderators warned you. I gave it another try tried to discuss it with you again, and you blew that too. You have lied about, misquoted, and made personal attacks against anyone who disagrees with you.

I'm not sure why you think this is acceptable behavior, but I don't. :\

*shrug* Have a nice day dude. I hope you are in a more reasonable mood some other time. :(

To everyone else, I apologize for my part in this affair.

Last edited:

Zandel

First Post
Now jeff no need to get insulting.....

And in case you missed it:

"A character fully in an area that requires a balance check to move is considered balancing unless they can make a balance check at a DC = to the check required to move +10."

That solves your tarrasque problem.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Caliban said:
Dude, I really don't care anymore.
Of course you don't, ma'am.

Everyone in the thread warned you. The moderators warned you. I gave it another try tried to discuss it with you again
By citing my "overblown hyperbole," I know. Your maturity brings tears to my eyes. It's so stirring to see such nobility in these times of moral crisis!

And you think Hypersmurf was warning only me! That's just so ... cute!

To everyone else, I apologize for my part in this affair.
Especially the part where he doesn't even understand how his version of the grease spell works, I imagine.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Zandel said:
That solves your tarrasque problem.
It does. But it doesn't solve the Large creatures problem, and, well, it's very clunky and inelegant. I really don't think it's a good solution.

As I said before, ideally the definition of balancing should include "narrow surfaces," but not "slippery surfaces." Alternatively, the grease spell needs a major overhaul.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I asked, "Do you have an answer for that, or are you just going to continue to ignore it?"

Caliban said:
Jeffy, go ahead and rant all you want, you're already on my ignore list, so I can't even see it.
I'm shocked. Shocked to find gambling is going on in here!

Jeff

P.S. "Your winnings, sir."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads