• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greatest book ever

BeholderBurger

First Post
I am just reading through the Manual of The Planes in work and I have come to the conclusion it is one of the best books available for D&D 3rd edition.
Anyone agree?

Crothian

First Post
It's a very good book and easily ranks in the top 10, however I know I like both Slaine and Book of the Rightious better.

BeholderBurger

First Post
I totally agree with you Hardison.

I had this idea for a ruined elven shrine in Myth Drannor which contained large ornate stone basins which held the bodies of Elves which had been seriously injured or fell ill to some incurable infernal disease even the Elves couldnt cure. They would be totally immersed in a mystical green water. This water would have properties from the plane of time and would hold them suspended in time until such a time as they could be helped. When the Elves left Myth Drannor they had to risk leaving the bodies behind for somebody to retrieve in the future. This is of course where the players come in.

Last edited:

haiiro

First Post
Good, but...

MotP is good, but my top favorite reads so far have been Rokugan and d20 Call of Cthulhu.

Rokugan hits a great balance of setting, crunch and cool goodies. d20 CoC has a fantastic treatment of the Mythos (particularly for people new to it) and some very clever mechanics - like its take on psychics.

As far as MotP goes, I got a chance to see some of A. Swekel's excellent artwork at the last GenCon, and some of his best stuff came from MotP, IMO. Really, really nifty.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
What I like best about the book is how much of a "jumping off" point it is. That is, it suggests a lot that I might otherwise not have thought about, and then gives the bare beginnings of the ways to accomplish what is wanted. It doesn't try to micromanage the individual campaign, by way of exhaustive rules for everything. It simply opens the doors for the DM. This book is a classic example of the dispensably indispensable - you don't really need it, but man, it sure is one of those books I'd rather not do without.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Totally agreed with the Colonel.

The fact that this book is SUCH a "construction kit" is what amazed me. It's not JUST a pre-built detailed cosmology, but a whole book on making one of your own, with some awesome examples!

Now if only the planar descriptors were OGC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads