Greeks? Egyptians?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
They could make it with knowledge, by government. Even Rome learned a thing or two from Eqypt on ruling.

Just because they were bronze age did not hold them back in other fields.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Greeks had steam engines and (apparently) advanced navigation (even onboard 'computers' for there ships)

Egyptians had deserts (geography), Education (The Library of Alyxandria) and (apparently) Static Electricty generators.

- You could take the technology route with Steampowered golems (the Bronze giant Talos) etc, the Egyptians could have Electric 'force feilds' and lightning rods

Albert_Fish

First Post
To be honest there has never been an instance where a Tech Savvy culture has not overtaken a Tech poor culture. In the Few instances that you might be able to think up the prolonged existance of Tech poor cultures comes from geographic obstacles to the incursions of more Technological civilizations.

If you care to take a read check out Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs, and Steel".

Geographic Isolation was the only reason certain Pacific Islanders and Aboriginal Australians were not eradicated much earlier than the 1700's to 1900's.

We must also think not only of the application of metals by cultures but also of Politics, agricutlrue and non Technical innovations within cultures.

Ancient Egypt could always defeat an Early Medieval Kingdom ( Except Byzantium) just by weight of sheer numbers and organizational Techniques.
Recall that in the Real World there was no standing military for most Early Medieval societies yet Egypt regularly drafted Foot Soldiers.
Steel would make you a Formidable fighting force but its numbers and logistics ( moving food and supplies) that win a war.

An Ancient culture such as Egypt might stand up in multi-Epoch world by having powerful benefactors. The Gods. These God's are not new comers. They know their powers and have lived Eon's Longer than other Gods and have perfected those powers. Egypt also hada large priestly class as opposed to the Greeks and the Pharoah was considered a God (and far more regularly than the Roman Ceasars).

God's dont just emerge out of the woodwork in the Real World. They come about because of a social need or desire. The Egyptian God's wouldnot exist without the Desert and the Nile. This is something that is completey forgotten in the Forgotten Realms

Quickly, The Greek Army, as fielded by Alexander could defeat nearly any Medieval Feudal army. 1000 pikemen vs 100 (a typical, even large, number for a feudal army)horsemen would be a bloody battle.

Matafuego

Explorer
I had no idea the Egyptian pantheon was "oficially" out. Where is it?
I am currently running and Egyptian campagin with some medieval components in it, and I love it... so far technology hasn't been a problem

Andor

First Post
Culture <> Technology.

A given culture is not magically stuck at some level of technology. I'm pretty sure that they use steel these days in greece and egypt. If those cultures had survived as world powers until the iron age they would have become iron age powers. Heck, even if your party was the first group to bring iron weapons into an isolated bronze age greek culture they'd be fair on the way to developing iron weapons by the time the party left. Remember that a lot of the factors that made the Spanish conquistadors so successful in South America (Disease and local legends or social structure) are less of a factor when the local priests can cast cure disease, or commune with their gods to find out that Cortez is not in fact Quetzal Coatl. In fact most panthestic cultures that run into something new and useful will just tack whoever the local god of that thing is into their pantheon. And if your prayers to Vulcan for knowlege of how to forge steel get answered that technological gap can be closed very rapidly.

-Andor

Matafuego said:
I had no idea the Egyptian pantheon was "oficially" out. Where is it?

Deities and Demigods is either out or coming REAL soon.

It includes the Egyptians, the Greeks, the Norse, and (of course) the Greyhawk pantheons. Mind you, it's only going to be the most common deities, but still, it's a start.

I'm going to have to go to the "local" (30 minutes away) game store to see if I can sneak a peek. :)

Matafuego

Explorer
Thanks Heretic, I'm gonna have to search for some info on the nets or from my friends... We don't receive many products from the USA nowadays here.. especially not the ones that are not sold out easily :(:(:(

Ron

Explorer
Although I agree that technology is a great asset to any culture, we should remmember that in D&D magic is much more important than technology. In my homebrew campaign there is a pseudoegyptian nation with great magical capabilities. They are the most powerful nation of the campaign, even if their technology isn't as advanced as other nations.

Matafuego said:
Thanks Heretic, I'm gonna have to search for some info on the nets or from my friends... We don't receive many products from the USA nowadays here.. especially not the ones that are not sold out easily :(:(:(

If I may suggest, try http://www.taloncomics.com/. I seem to recall that Derek has some pretty liberal rules on shipping and handling. If you buy a big enough order, you may get some pretty hefty discounts on S&H.

If I remember correctly, for U.S. residents, the cut-off is $175 (the most recent change I've heard about) for FREE shipping. That and no sales tax, with his average of 15% off, just blows all the competition away.

He's going to be making another price-cutting (or something) announcement on Sunday (tomorrow).

So, email him, and find out what sort of discount you can get. You'll have to buy in bulk, but if it's available through his distributors, he can get it. :)

Voadam

Legend
Matafuego,

I don't know if you can get the WotC ESDs from where you are but there is a 2e forgotten realms ESD, I think it is called Ancient Empires, that deals with eqyptian and 1 other culture (Babylonian?) that were brought into the realms. It is only $5 US. The 3e FRCS also has a little on them as well including the gods. The 2e FR gods supplement also deals with them in depth (I don't remmeber if it is Powers and Pantheons or Faiths and Avatars). Then there was also the 1e Deities and demigods/Legend & Lore, and the 2e Legends and Lore which each had the egyptian pantheons in them. In the Hollow world setting there is the Nithian empire which is eqyptian based and besides the Hollow world boxed set there is a supplement on Nithia and an adventure. Also there is a free Ravenloft adventure dealing with their eqyptian land it is called _Touch of Death_, The 3e ravenloft book has a mummy template and so does _Relics and Rituals_. There is also the free 1e adventures from WotC the pharoah series?

(Looking over it all I'm shocked at how much gaming stuff I own, :eek: I have everything above except the nithian adventure.)

Remove ads