• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Green ronin going to do 4e products?

kennew142

First Post
Pramas said:
We haven't decided yet. Step one is getting a chance to review the new Open Game License and seeing if we're comfortable publishing material under those terms. We've signed a NDA and are just waiting for WotC to produce the document.

I hope you are. I really enjoy your D&D products. I'm less likely to buy things for other systems, no matter how well done they are. As for 4e D&D, if you make it, I will buy it. Unless you guys start totally sucking.... :p

Just speculating here...

As far as I interpreted things (unless the thread linked in this thread is newer), GR was on the fence whether or not they wanted to pony up the $5,000 for an advance copy of the rules as a leap of faith. It is assumed that 4E rules will be good, but (GR realizing that this is an assumption and not a guaranteed event) on the remote chance that they are not then GR does not want to be out the $5,000.

From Chris' post here, sounds like they are getting a peak for free or maybe at a reduced cost with some kind of additional agreement. Just speculating here, "If we like em, we will pony up the $5,000 so we can produce product near the launch. If we don't, we will agree to not produce something for an ADDITIONAL 6 months after everyone else is able to do it." Or maybe Wizards thought, "Hmmm, GR makes good stuff, and helped us sell 3.5 PHBs & DMGs, we will give em a peek for free so GR can make a more informed decision."

Anyways, I hope GR and the Game Mechanics make 4E stuff because they do good work.

Nikchick

Explorer
BradfordFerguson said:
Just speculating here...

As far as I interpreted things (unless the thread linked in this thread is newer), GR was on the fence whether or not they wanted to pony up the $5,000 for an advance copy of the rules as a leap of faith. It is assumed that 4E rules will be good, but (GR realizing that this is an assumption and not a guaranteed event) on the remote chance that they are not then GR does not want to be out the $5,000.

From Chris' post here, sounds like they are getting a peak for free or maybe at a reduced cost with some kind of additional agreement. Just speculating here, "If we like em, we will pony up the $5,000 so we can produce product near the launch. If we don't, we will agree to not produce something for an ADDITIONAL 6 months after everyone else is able to do it." Or maybe Wizards thought, "Hmmm, GR makes good stuff, and helped us sell 3.5 PHBs & DMGs, we will give em a peek for free so GR can make a more informed decision."

Anyways, I hope GR and the Game Mechanics make 4E stuff because they do good work.

Whoa, there, big fella. Let's not get carried away. We are not getting any sneak peeks at the rules, we're not negotiating any special agreements. Nothing of the sort.

Green Ronin is not eager to jump into making ANY decisions about 4E until we see the LICENSE. We've signed the NDA that is required to start the process but so far WotC has not produced a license for review. We are not going to enter into development on products that we're not even sure the license will allow! Until we see the license by which we'd be bound, it doesn't matter if the rules are pure gold and spun by angels: we can't decide until we see the license, which WotC has not yet released.

After we see the terms of the agreement we will know whether or not spending the $5K on the dev kit is something we want to do, considering the kinds of products we have in mind, and then we will get to see the SRD. But seeing the license is Step One and we can't go forward with that until WotC actually releases the license.

That's what I get for speculating! :p Thanks Nicole.

That makes a lot of sense (cents too). It's good to assume that the new license will be not as accomodating as the previous license. I guess if GR wants to make product type X and if WotC doesn't allow product type X, then that would be problematic.

So that also means that there are publishers out there who have paid $5,000 without even seeing the terms of the new OGL?

crazy_cat

Adventurer
I don't think anyone has paid the $5k yet.

The deal was - sign NDA, get to review 4e OGL, if you sign it and pay the money then (and only then) do you get to see the 4e SRD etc.

If WOTC haven't sent out copies of the 4e OGL yet I can't imagine anybody has written them a cheque without seeing any licence terms ....

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I sincerely hope that GR produces 4e products, either initially or after the dev. kit time frame expires. I think it would be a mistake to not to support 4e in some fashion, at some point in the first year and a half after the rules are released.

PatrickLawinger

First Post
BradfordFerguson said:
That's what I get for speculating! :p Thanks Nicole.

That makes a lot of sense (cents too). It's good to assume that the new license will be not as accomodating as the previous license. I guess if GR wants to make product type X and if WotC doesn't allow product type X, then that would be problematic.

So that also means that there are publishers out there who have paid $5,000 without even seeing the terms of the new OGL?

To the best of my knowledge no publisher has paid yet, nor been asked to pay yet. Of course that could be wrong. Nobody has seen the license yet and you can't pay for a license without the license being ready to be, well, bought. Several publishers are planning to jump on board no matter what, but that doesn't mean that the person doing the accounting is going to let the money go out until there is something ready to pay for.

Patrick

If no one has paid yet then I guess it's safe to assume that the only third party folks that are writing presently for 4e, besides WotC employees, would be playtesters who also like to write?

morbiczer

First Post
BradfordFerguson said:
If no one has paid yet then I guess it's safe to assume that the only third party folks that are writing presently for 4e, besides WotC employees, would be playtesters who also like to write?

Or writers, who happen to be playtesters.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads